AGM Batteries

Options
dhill
dhill Solar Expert Posts: 47
I'm running a 24vdc shurflo deep well pump off my solar system. I've been using Trojan L16 batteries, but they are no longer usable. I'm considering going to AGM batteries because of less need for maintainance. Is it possible to use regular 12v agm car batteries for this purpose. I have 1100W in solar panels to keep those batteries charged. I no longer run my house with my solar. I can use it if needed. I also have an 11K generator that can charge the batteries. What's the difference between the marine or auto AGM batteries and those AGM configured for solar use? What maintainance do AGM batteries require?

Comments

• H2SO4_guy
    H2SO4_guy Solar Expert Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: AGM Batteries

I used used AGM batteries and they are the best I've ever had. They were pretty expensive new, but I bought them used for just over scrap price. I have $1300 in 99 kwh of batteries and they are working great. Check out where they battery places send their batteries just before the scrap / recycling place and work out a deal with them.

They only need to have the connections cleaned about every year.

Good luck!
    12K asst panels charging through Midnite Classic 150's, powering Exeltechs and Outback VFX-3648 inverter at 12 and 48 volts.  2080 AH @ 48 VDC of Panasonic Stationary batteries (2 strings of 1040 AH each) purchased for slightly over scrap, installed August 2013.  Outback PSX-240X for 220 volt duties.  No genny usage since 2014. 
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dhill wrote: »
    I'm running a 24vdc shurflo deep well pump off my solar system. I've been using Trojan L16 batteries....
    <snip>
    I have 1100W in solar panels to keep those batteries charged. I no longer run my house with my solar. I can use it if needed. I also have an 11K generator that can charge the batteries.

Something's wrong with this picture... You have grid? Why not just buy an iota power supply to power the pump? Why do you want batteries for the pump?

Also unless you are pumping far more than a household needs (like irrigation), 1100 watts of panel sounds like too much panel, and 11 kw generator sounds like too much for the batteries.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • dhill
    dhill Solar Expert Posts: 47
    Options

I was off grid for 7 years. During that time I ran my house with solar. The pump is dc and I ran it directly off my power bank. I now keep the solar for backup when my grid is out which is a possibility because I'm in a remote location.
    This may be an ignorant question, but what's an iota power supply? Is that equivalent to a converter? I considered that. It's the cheapest way out, but I thought a few hundred in agm batteries keeps my solar functional, too.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    dhill wrote: »
    I was off grid for 7 years. During that time I ran my house with solar. The pump is dc and I ran it directly off my power bank. I now keep the solar for backup when my grid is out which is a possibility because I'm in a remote location.
    This may be an ignorant question, but what's an iota power supply? Is that equivalent to a converter? I considered that. It's the cheapest way out, but I thought a few hundred in agm batteries keeps my solar functional, too.
    Here is a run down on them, basic, cheap battery charger / power supply with a good 3 stage charging. I prefer to get the Plain one then get the DLS module as a plug in, more options.

http://www.solar-electric.com/bach1.html

http://www.iotaengineering.com/pplib/IQ4manual.pdf