Offseason maintenance of RV and motorcycle batteries

Options
noahr
noahr Registered Users Posts: 3
Hello all,

I have a 23" C class and 2 motorcycles that I leave in Mexico and i'm trying to figure out how keep them all charged up with my solar setup.

Currently I have a 100w panel connected to and 2 deep cycle batteries (27 size). The panel with it's basic controller does a great job with the RV batteries.

What I'd like to figure out is a way (perhaps with some kind of controller) to maintain the charge of my RV starter battery and my 2 small motorcycle batteries as will as my deep cycle batteries while i'm gone. Naturally my storage area does not have shore power.

Is there a controller that anyone can recomend that will charge/maintain all of my batteries?

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Offseason maintenance of RV and motorcycle batteries

Welcome to the forum.

A single charge controller is not going to work for this because of two reasons:

1). The batteries have different charging profiles.
    2). There needs to be sufficient power available from panels to maintain the total amount of battery.

Although there are some 'dual' charge controllers, a single 100 Watt panel will manage about 5 Amps maximum, and that is just about enough for the two Group 27 batteries you already have (approximately 90 Amp hours each).

Since you'd have to increase the amount of PV to have power sufficient for the other batteries, you'd be better off buying individual battery maintaining PV for each application.
  • noahr
    Options

Intresting. Thanks Cariboocoot!
    What if I kept my existing setup and added a independent Battery Tender 15w for the motorcycle batteries and starter battery?
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

Not sure how big your bike batteries are, but a 15 Watt panel puts out a bit less than 1 Amp which is enough for keeping one standard auto battery up. They make these things in various sizes from 2.5 Watts http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/coleman-2-5w-solar-battery-maintainer-0112007p.html on up.
  • noahr
    Options

Oops, actually my panel is 150w. Would this change anything? A dual charger controller does sound intresting.

Something like this perhaps?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/battery-controller-regulator-motorhome-batteries/dp/B006OA8LKQ
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

With a 150 Watt '12 Volt' panel (and be sure it is 12 Volt: Vmp around 17-18 ) you could have another 3 Amps output. In such a case using a dual charge controller like the one you linked to could keep both the 'house' and the 'engine' batteries charged. But I would still seek entirely separate system for the motorbikes.
  • PNjunction
    PNjunction Solar Expert Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    Options

The fastest way to go with your existing panel is a Battery-Minder model SCC-180 charge controller which handles up to 180 watts. Then, add the optional accessory smart-splitter cable (isolates each battery) model 210AY.