Soitec Nears 45% Solar PV Cell Efficiency

RSSfeed
RSSfeed Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭
The limits of solar efficiency are being pushed higher by the newest multi-junction PV cell from Soitec and its partners, Fraunhofer Institute The post Soitec Nears 45% Solar PV Cell Efficiency appeared first on Solar Feeds.

go to solarfeeds for the rest of this story>>>>>solarfeed?d=yIl2AUoC8zA solarfeed?i=tN8opJOXhB4:ibyPaEyAVNE:gIN9vFwOqvQ solarfeed?d=qj6IDK7rITs solarfeed?i=tN8opJOXhB4:ibyPaEyAVNE:V_sGLiPBpWU solarfeed?d=dnMXMwOfBR0
tN8opJOXhB4

More...

Comments

• bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭
    Re: Soitec Nears 45% Solar PV Cell Efficiency

If this were a forum of solar researchers at a govt-funded advanced project, I'd say THANKS for the heads-up. But since this is a forum consisting of average people who will NEVER own cutting-edge solar collectors (with the power of several hundred suns), why post this here? None of the registered readers will ever have industrial Fresnels tracking in their back yard.

When they have can boast 25% efficiency under only ONE sun, then give us a shout.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

The RSS Newsfeed posts are automatic from sources and are not evaluated before they show up.
    Usually this is a minor annoyance such as multiple listing of the same "amazing breakthrough" in technology that never comes to the retail level. Occasionally it is spamvertising. When it stoops to that level we will remove a post.

But sometimes the feeds have sparked some interesting discussions and have been moved to more permanent status in the main forum.
  • bmet

IMHO, there is nothing interesting about this type of research. For one, they have to 'multiply' the intensity of the sun (hundredfold) for such small gains.
    Secondly, The materials used are exotic, not really ever going to apply for the public good. Thirdly, They money spent on this bragging rite probably could have fed a small town. Fourth, solar cells have been around for half a century, and how far has the efficiency been advanced(without 'collectors' ruining the curve?).

Like the fictional character Spock says, "one cannot ignore the laws of physics", and using a bigger and bigger magnifying glass can only cheat so much.
  • bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    bmet wrote: »
    Secondly, The materials used are exotic, not really ever going to apply for the public good.

Wasn't so long ago that gallium was considered pretty exotic. Yet we use that regularly for semiconductors today.
    Thirdly, They money spent on this bragging rite probably could have fed a small town.
    Right. And the money spent on solar panels overall has resulted in sub-$1-per-watt solar cells. That seems to be a worthwhile investment in the long run, even if all the avenues don't work out.
    Fourth, solar cells have been around for half a century, and how far has the efficiency been advanced(without 'collectors' ruining the curve?).
    By about a factor of three. In 1960 the top efficiency even of lab cells was around 15%. Now you can get cheap commercial cells that are better than that.
    Like the fictional character Spock says, "one cannot ignore the laws of physics", and using a bigger and bigger magnifying glass can only cheat so much.
    That's actually not cheating, any more than using an MPPT charge controller is cheating. You are just making better use of what's already there.
  • bmet

By about a factor of three. In 1960 the top efficiency even of lab cells was around 15%. Now you can get cheap commercial cells that are better than that.

My 2 yr. old Evergreens, the last of their production run, aren't even 14%. The ones that average consumers get are only a couple of percent points more.

That's actually not cheating, any more than using an MPPT charge controller is cheating. You are just making better use of what's already there

Last time I looked up, there was only one sun outside, not 297.
  • jcheil
    jcheil Solar Expert Posts: 722 ✭✭✭
    bmet wrote: »
    Last time I looked up, there was only one sun outside, not 297.

Well if you want to get technical, there are millions of suns...but there is only one we can use in our solar system ;)
    But I do agree with you that this research will never directly benefit individuals like ourselves.
    Off-Grid in Central Florida since 2005, Full-Time since June 2014 | 12 X Sovello 205w panels, 9 X ToPoint 220w panels, 36x ToPoint 225w panels (12,525 watts total) | Custom built single-axis ground mounts | Complete FP2 Outback System: 3 x FM80, 2 x VFX3648, X240 Transformer, FLEXnet-DC, Mate-3, Hub-10, FW500 AC/DC | 24 x Trojan L16RE-B Batteries 1110ah @ 48v | Honda EU7000is Generator and a pile of "other" Generators | Home-Made PVC solar hot water collector | Custom data logging software http://www.somewhatcrookedcamp.com/monitormate.html