outback 3024 inverter

jimbob01
jimbob01 Solar Expert Posts: 63 ✭✭
anyone got an outback inverter charger? im thinking of buying one.... opinions?

Comments

• bill von novak
    bill von novak Solar Expert Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: outback 3024 inverter
    jimbob01 wrote: »
    anyone got an outback inverter charger? im thinking of buying one.... opinions?

I have a GTFX3624 that I am pretty happy with. The 3024 is a slightly lower power off grid version; should be similar.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

I have a VFX3524 and have worked with many other OB inverters.

They are unquestionably the most reliable inverter on the market. Absolutely the best for endurance. Nothing else even comes close. They are also the most flexible for configuration.

Downside: expensive for the power they supply and very complex to program.

But unless you really mess something up they will work for a long, long time and in pretty harsh conditions too. I always recommend them over other brands for remote/severe locations because I know they will stand up to it. (Keep in mind they have vented and non-vented models, as well as 'marine' version and come in both 120 60 Hz output and 230 50 Hz output).

Not much data in on the big Radian 8kW 240 VAC model yet.
  • jimbob01

just been reading up on the vented 3.5k model...not read a bad review....in fact dont think ive heard so much good stuff about a product before!....think im swinging for the vfx...how much are they in the usa?
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Oh, just a small pick-up truck full of money :p : http://www.solar-electric.com/outback-power-pure-sinewave-inverter-vfx3524.html

And you must have a MATE to go with it: http://www.solar-electric.com/mate2.html
    Otherwise you can't program the parameters. The default values are rarely what you'll need.
  • jimbob01

seems that outback only do a 3024 vfx here in europe at 240v which gives us 500w less...bummer..but with 5yr guarantee and great reviews id say it still looks like top of the choices for off grid inverter chargers here ;-)...im gettin one :-)
  • RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭

I love mine (VFX-3648 ) it is in use every day, switches between grid and inverter without my being able to even notice - I run off-grid each day but my 24x7 computer loads are normally too high to remain off-grid all night. When the grid goes down, it again switches so fast I (and my computers) am not even aware. Only way I know the power went out is the microwave (not on the inverter) clock has reset! ;) It's definitely the best (though also most expensive by far) uninterruptible power supply I've ever had.

The only "bad" thing (and it's not that big of a deal to me) is that I do at times notice a very slight flicker / pulsing from CFLs when on inverter. It appears this is because the majority of my load is normally computers (switching power supplies) causing some fluctuation in the inverter's output. When the fridge is running or I otherwise have larger loads on, or if I shut down the computers (especially the Apple iMac and Cinema displays) the flickering isn't noticeable. LED bulbs don't flicker at all.

This inverter is quite a bit of overkill for my "normal" usage, daytime running 250-300W + 100W when the fridge is on, but I wanted the 48V bank and it is certainly nice being able to fire up larger loads if desired. My garage door opener is on it, it powers the electric lawn mower, small air compressor and other shop tools. In summertime I'll even run a 9000 BTU mini-split AC unit on it, or if I'm in the garage a 9000 BTU portable AC unit, on sunny days after hitting absorb / float. Even with one of the AC units going I'm still only at 2000W or so - the inverter's barely noticing the load. :cool:
  • upa123
    upa123 Registered Users Posts: 17

GVFX 3648, very happy with it.