Damaged Insulation [+] current limit

Thomas
Thomas Solar Expert Posts: 291
Beware when connecting wires to posts in xantrex.
Do not over insert into terminal. If you look at the top, there are large wires carrying positive. to the top of the board.
I guess I over inserted the neg battery wire and damaged the insulation on the positive controller wire. Somehow this was all right until I consolidated and added 235 watts. I guess the neg and pos found each other right there at proximity and current and damaged insulation.
Always troubleshoot with adequate sunlight.  Hi Ho Hi Ho
2.3kW [10] Enecsys SMI-240-60 micro inverters

Comments

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Damaged Insulation [+] current limit

Thomas,

Another issue CAN result from a poor connection on any of the input/output terminals from too little torque on initial installation, failure to re-torque the screws in approx. 24 hours, etc. Thermal cycling can cause these screws to loosen over a period of time, as well. It is good to check the torque/re-torque these and other termanals (such as battery cable fasteners) every six months or every year.

Anti-oxidant compound applied to the conductors of these terminals might also help. Opinions, Thanks for the pic, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Damaged Insulation [+] current limit

another lesson here is don't do this with power applied anywhere and recheck it before applying power.