Trying to build a simple solar system, but need some help

Options
zcapozzi
zcapozzi Registered Users Posts: 2
Hi all,

My goal is to create a simple system with one panel that can power a laptop (90W) for at least one hour per day. My current equipment plan is:

RENOGY 100 Watt 100w Monocrystalline Photovoltaic PV Solar Panel Module 12V
Concorde Sun Xtender PVX 340T AGM Solar Battery (34Ah)
Morningstar SunSaver SS-10-12v Charge Controller 10A 12V
Samlex America (SSW35012A) SSW 350W Pure Inverter ---- OR ---- MORNINGSTAR SURESINE INVERTER-300W, 115V 60HZ UL

I'm not trying to spend a ton as this is more for experimenting and so that I can learn how these things work in advance of perhaps one day installing a whole home system.

Assumptions:
1. Because I'm powering a laptop, I need to use the pure sine inverter
2. Morningstar is a superior brand (in terms of quality) to Samlex
3. AGM batteries are the best type for simplicity and lack of maintenance requirements
4. This set up will provide me with at least 90Whrs per day to run the laptop assuming at least 2 hours average sun (I live in Chicago)
5. The inverter is the most important component to choose from a quality and reliability perspective

I'd love to get some feedback on my assumptions so that I can start to adjust my plan as necessary. Again, my primary goal is to generate electricity from a solar panel and run my laptop off of it for at least one hour per day. This is not a system that needs to power a home.

Thanks in advance.

- Zack

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Trying to build a simple solar system, but need some help
    zcapozzi wrote: »
    Hi all,

My goal is to create a simple system with one panel that can power a laptop (90W) for at least one hour per day. My current equipment plan is:

RENOGY 100 Watt 100w Monocrystalline Photovoltaic PV Solar Panel Module 12V
    Concorde Sun Xtender PVX 340T AGM Solar Battery (34Ah)
    Morningstar SunSaver SS-10-12v Charge Controller 10A 12V
    Samlex America (SSW35012A) SSW 350W Pure Inverter ---- OR ---- MORNINGSTAR SURESINE INVERTER-300W, 115V 60HZ UL

I'm not trying to spend a ton as this is more for experimenting and so that I can learn how these things work in advance of perhaps one day installing a whole home system.

Assumptions:
    1. Because I'm powering a laptop, I need to use the pure sine inverter
    2. Morningstar is a superior brand (in terms of quality) to Samlex
    3. AGM batteries are the best type for simplicity and lack of maintenance requirements
    4. This set up will provide me with at least 90Whrs per day to run the laptop assuming at least 2 hours average sun (I live in Chicago)
    5. The inverter is the most important component to choose from a quality and reliability perspective

I'd love to get some feedback on my assumptions so that I can start to adjust my plan as necessary. Again, my primary goal is to generate electricity from a solar panel and run my laptop off of it for at least one hour per day. This is not a system that needs to power a home.

Thanks in advance.

- Zack

Looks like a pretty well balanced small system. If you go with an inverter, I would suggest pure sine rather than modified square wave to keep the laptop power brick happy.
    Or invest in a car power supply for your laptop instead, which may cost less than an inverter and will also allow you to use your laptop easily and quietly in your car.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • zcapozzi
    zcapozzi Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options

I just found out that my estimate on the laptop needs was a bit high (i.e. 90W is its peak draw but not what it needs on an ongoing basis). This means that I can probably expand my scope to include charging cell phones and iPads. With more electronics, that probably even increases the need for pure sine I would think.

Selecting the inverter is where I'm getting stuck. I was advised to go with a Morningstar SureSine, but this is twice the cost of something like a Samlex SSW (see links below). I am wondering whether the value/quality I'm getting from the Morningstar is worth it? Is the Samlex unreliable? Why such a big different in price when they are doing the same thing?

There is a Samlex model that I have been looking at:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=samlex+ssw&oq=samle&aqs=chrome.2.5j69i57j69i59j69i60j0.3863j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=samlex+ssw+350&tbm=shop

There is also a Morningstar model that has been recommended to me:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=morningstar+suresine+inverter-300w+115v+60hz+ul&oq=morningstar+suresin&aqs=chrome.0.69i59l3j69i57j69i60.4881j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=morningstar+suresine+inverter-300w+115v+60hz+ul&tbm=shop
  • tons001
    tons001 Solar Expert Posts: 71 ✭✭
    Options

I had a Samlex and it was broke within 2 weeks. I would go with the Morningstar. I see them recommended on here quite often.