The new Conext SW4024 review

Options
Dapdan
Dapdan Solar Expert Posts: 330 ✭✭
Hi all,

I got the new Conext SW4024 recently and I wish to share my thoughts so far.

I was greatly impressed by it specs and it price. The unit is quite heavy for it size, it weights in the region of 70lbs nearly 20lbs heavier that comparable units(magnum, apollo & outback). It was easy to set up, the DC connection lugs were adequate. Howvever, I found the ac connection (connect strip) was inadequate for this size inverter and only accepted a maximum of 6awg. I think it should have been at least 4awg. The ac compartment was a little undersized and if it did accept wire larger thatn 6awg it would be physical challenge to get them installed. I love the compact and simply physical size of the unit. I have it sitting on a shelf that is 16" x 28" with lots of room around it. I have loaded it with a 240v ac unit requiring at least 1400w and the inverter handled that load easily without any fuss. My main gripe about this unit is that it is quite noisy. The fans run all the time when the unit is powered up even when there is no to very little load. This inverter you would not want to install in an occupied room as the two 4" fan run continously. I hope schnider can fix this fan issue as it is the only fault I can find in an otherwise excellent inverter. Please note that it has only been installed for about one week now. I will keep all abreast as to further developments.

Cheers...
Damani

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: The new Conext SW4024 review

NAWS is now carrying the Conext line.

By weight and a 5 sec 2x surge perhaps they are low-frequency transformers units? Some claim more reliable? I think the SW lineup was always a little noisy so maybe it would be out of character for it to be quiet...lol.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Photowhit
    Options
    Dapdan wrote: »
    ...How ever, I found the ac connection (connect strip) was inadequate for this size inverter and only accepted a maximum of 6awg. I think it should have been at least 4awg...

How far are you going from inverter to Sub panel / Breaker? I have #10 on my 1800 watt and that's plenty. I'm even currently running 100 feet with it and I'd bet I'm fine. It'll eventually run 30" into a breaker.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Dapdan
    Options

Photo,

Right now it is about 4ft to my GE breaker box. Eventually it will be approximately 20ft to the permanent electrical panel.
  • Photowhit
    Options

...and you feel you need something heavier than #6 to run 4000 watts at 240V 20 feet?

FWIW they used #10 to run the 6 feet to my breaker box for my 240v 3900watt water heater.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

4kW @ 240 VAC = 17 Amps.
    10 AWG will handle that for 200' before the V-drop gets to 3%.
    6 AWG will handle it for 500'.
    More than adequate I'd say.
  • Dapdan
    Options
    4kW @ 240 VAC = 17 Amps.
    10 AWG will handle that for 200' before the V-drop gets to 3%.
    6 AWG will handle it for 500'.
    More than adequate I'd say.

The 240v load is an air conditioner but I have other 120v loads like my pool pump that the inverter will have run simultaneously. I am not saying I want to install 4awg I think the 6awg I installed if adequate but I think someone may want to install 4awg.
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi all,

I got the new Conext SW4024 recently and I wish to share my thoughts so far.

I was greatly impressed by it specs and it price.
    My main gripe about this unit is that it is quite noisy. The fans run all the time when the unit is powered up even when there is no to very little load. This inverter you would not want to install in an occupied room as the two 4" fan run continously. I hope schnider can fix this fan issue as it is the only fault I can find in an otherwise excellent inverter.

Cheers...
    Damani

Hi Damani,

Thanks for the info on the new SW inverter. Too bad about the fans always running. Schneider probably saved $0.50 or less removing variable speed fan control. Perhaps some of the seemingly "idle" power is burned up in those fans.

The old SW+es here do have variable speed fans, which seldom run, but the Transformers do buzz quite a bit, however the power room is 225 ft from the living quarters, so notta problem.

Do have an application where the new Context SW inverter would fit well, but am not certain that the constantly running fans will be acceptable. Know that this is an inexpensive inverter line, and cannot ask to have it all ways ... but four a couple of added bucks at retail, seems that variable speed fans that run only when needed, and then only at the speed needed (roughly).

Am sure not a fan of fans always running. Bought a largish Audio Amp last year, and the fan/s in it also ran constantly. Otherwise a nice amp, but not good for one's living room and reasonable music etc. Perhaps the designers are hearing impaired (from listening to all of those fans running constantly!). Simply do not understand the cut .. cut ... cut every corner in many of the newer products.

Please keep us updated, Thanks, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    The 240v load is an air conditioner but I have other 120v loads like my pool pump that the inverter will have run simultaneously. I am not saying I want to install 4awg I think the 6awg I installed if adequate but I think someone may want to install 4awg.

If we're talking about the output of the inverter that is what it is, regardless of what load you want to run from it. Larger wire size connecting the AC won't increase its maximum power output any.
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The fans always ON is troubling. The original XW line used a thermal sensor to switch them on only when needed. Moving air and dust through the unit 24/7 AND the fact that bearings have a limited life, seems to be a mistake. Maybe check with the MFG, as to the fans being always on, maybe you have a bum unit, or test software in it ?
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Mike,

Check on all, NOISE, dust , life, power all.

The old SW+es here have three or four fan speeds, and almost never run at all, which is good. Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Options

According to the owners manual the fans are temperature controlled and variable speed. Should not turn on until 113 deg F and turn off when 104 deg F is reached.
    Is it setting vertical and are the intake vents blocked?
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • Dapdan
    Options

Right now there are no loads on the inverter and the fans are both running. The inverter is vertical and none of the vents are blocked.

Attachment not found.Attachment not found.

Damani
  • ChrisOlson
    ChrisOlson Banned Posts: 1,807 ✭✭
    Options
    Howvever, I found the ac connection (connect strip) was inadequate for this size inverter and only accepted a maximum of 6awg. I think it should have been at least 4awg.

Split-phase carries twice the power on the same size wire as compared to single phase 120V (although split-phase requires one extra wire). 6 AWG with 8 AWG neutral is adequate for 14 kVA 240V split-phase.

We bought a SW4024 for our boat. Although I don't have it installed yet, I had it hooked up and running a few days ago and the fans do not run in it all the time. As with any inverter, the minimum installation clearance on all sides of it is 10", including the bottom. If you stick it in a cubby hole like I saw in your photos you do not have good natural convective air circulation around it so the fans will start.
    --
    Chris
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Options
    Right now there are no loads on the inverter and the fans are both running. The inverter is vertical and none of the vents are blocked.

What is the ambient temperature?

Also, you can see direct sun on the device. How long is it under direct sun during the day?
  • Dapdan
    Options

Chris,

The compartment the inverter is installed in is no cubby by any stretch. This inverter is marketed with a DC switch gear that is installed over the left side vents so that 10" clearance to all side is not realistic. If you look at my pictures carefully you will see about 3" on the right of the inverter where the fans are located and I don't think that you need 10" for air intake for the fans. The bottom of the unit has no vents so it is doubtful that you need 10" of clearance as no natural ventilation can occur at the bottom. The room that this shelf is in very well ventilated and Reach's day time highs of 88f. The fan runs all through the night and early morning even at 77f night time lows with no loads attached. Explain this for me Chris.

Attachment not found.Attachment not found.

Cheers....
    Damani
  • Dapdan
    Options

North,

There is no direct sun on the inverter at anytime during the day. I place a thermometer that show the ambient temp at the time of the pic to be 86F. The ambient temp varies between 77f and 88f in the room where the inverter is installed.

Cheers...
    Damani
  • SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Options

Just saying that all of your equipment would be a lot happier if it was mounted out on the open wall and not enclosed in those shelves. Installation manual does specify 10 in clearance on all sides, to make rated capacity and 77 deg F ambient temperature.
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • Cariboocoot
    Options

You might want to use a thermometer and see what sort of temperatures are actually occurring - especially inside the unit. If it really is 100F+ then expect the fans to be on. If it's not, the inverter has a problem. You really wouldn't expect it to be hot enough to run the fans all the time no matter what the clearance unless it was putting out full power all the time.

If you can check the actual temperature you might be asking Xantrex "Why do the fans run all the time at 80F?"

Don't hold your breath waiting for the answer though.
  • ChrisOlson
    Options
    The room that this shelf is in very well ventilated and Reach's day time highs of 88f. The fan runs all through the night and early morning even at 77f night time lows with no loads attached. Explain this for me Chris.

Well, I can't explain it, just telling you what I read when I browsed my installation guide the other day. We got both the DC and AC Switchgear boxes for ours and they both have vent holes in them just like the XW Conduit Box does for the inverter's cooling system. I ran a 13 watt CFL with mine the other day to test it, and it pulled 1.2 amps @ 25.2V to run the single CFL - about the same as the XW inverter. I tried my Skil saw with it and cut some 2 x 8's with the saw and it worked just fine with the inverter hooked to the batteries in our camper. The fans never ran once.

If the transformer temp sensor is above 113F then the fans will be running on low speed, at 158F they reach full speed, and don't shut off until the transformer and DC power section drop to 104F - identical to the XW.
    --
    Chris
  • Dapdan
    Options

I am just saying the inverter has six sides. Three of these sides have vent holes left, right and front. If the inverter is wall mounted with a dc switchgear then we are left with four free sides top, bottom, front and right. Top and bottom have no vents therefore no natural venting. Natural venting only takes place on the right side(in take vents) and the front and maybe a bit through the switch gear. I will insist that my current setup has more natural venting than a setup on a wall with a DC switch gear installed. Still at night and early morning the ambient temp drops to 77f but still the fan run with no loads applied. Is there something wrong with my logic. I don't think my current setup is making the fan run.

Cheers...
    Damani
  • ChrisOlson
    Options

The way to test your logic is to install the inverter properly, on the wall bracket. Then see what happens. Sitting in that tight area on a piece of cardboard is not the way to draw any conclusions.
    --
    Chris
  • Dapdan
    Options

Please don't belittle my cardboard...it is keep the blue paint off my new inverter. Eventually I will install on the wall above my shelves but I am waiting for the DC switch gear to arrive. I think that the fans should not be run anyways even in its current setup. I have email Schneider about it. I will see what they response will be. I will keep monitoring the fan issue. I have measured the idle draw with a victron monitor and it is 2.4A at 26v to give 62.4w 50% more that what is spec.

cheers...
    Damani
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Options

I would measure the temperature where the air exhaust is. If the air coming out is warmer than ambient, something is hot inside.

If the invereter is producing low, it coould be some faulty part that heats up when it shouldn't, which would need rapair.

If the temperature is roughly the same as ambient, then this is most likely a faulty thermistor which tells processor that it's hot while it isn't. If so, it's probably a good idea to repair it too.
  • ChrisOlson
    Options
    I have measured the idle draw with a victron monitor and it is 2.4A at 26v to give 62.4w 50% more that what is spec.

I would expect that the fans probably draw 10-12 watts each - they're 4" fans. As long as you got it hooked up, put a load on it and use it. I put mine back in the box for now until we get the boat out of the lake this fall so I can tear the electrical system apart in the boat and install it. Our old inverter in the boat is a 120V output so I have to rewire the boat for split-phase power. The cool thing about the SW is that it has an autotransformer in it. So you can use a 120V single-phase generator with it on split-phase output. So we didn't have to replace our water-cooled Yanmar marine generator in the boat to upgrade to split-phase power.
    --
    Chris
  • Dapdan
    Options

All,

I have set up an ambient thermometer wity a probe. Here are my finding:

Ambient temp: 88.5f
    Temp at exhaust vent by ac connection strip: 93.4f

Both fans were running with a load of approximately 50w (ceiling fan in same room)

Cheers...
    Damani
  • ChrisOlson
    Options
    Ambient temp: 88.5f
    Temp at exhaust vent by ac connection strip: 93.4f

Both fans were running with a load of approximately 50w (ceiling fan in same room)

Yeah, the internal temp right at the transformer is probably staying above 104. That's only 15F over ambient and that don't take much to raise the temp of a winding 15F. Try putting more load on it like 2-3 kW. Our XW is running at 4700 watt load right now and I checked the air temp coming out the top - it's 96F with an ambient of only 72F in the utility room. But the fans in the XW are running at about half speed. So the exit air temp is lower than actual internal temp.
    --
    Chris
  • Texas Wellman
    Texas Wellman Solar Expert Posts: 153 ✭✭
    Options

I'm betting on a bad thermostat or thermocouple (whatever controls the fan). Cool the room down if you can and see if you can get the fan to turn off.
  • Photowhit
    Options

I will attest that mounting will make a difference in internal temperatures. I had my Prosine mounted like you have your for a brief time(and it is designed to mount that way!) and it's fan ran most of the time(mounted in an outside enclosure ambient around 80-85 degrees) when I wall mounted it, I thought it had problems since it hardly ran at all with out a load on it. The Prosine's case does radiate heat a bit and just having it mounted what looks to me to be within 1" of the wall makes me cringe while it's clearances aren't as high as the 10" of the sw4024, just 5".

The case fan I replaced in my Prosine was 1.6 watt 3" so I suspect 10-12 watts for a 4" case fan is a little high.

What does your thermometer say if you set it on top of the inverter? I bet it's a good bit warmer there.
  • ChrisOlson
    Options
    Photowhit wrote: »
    I will attest that mounting will make a difference in internal temperatures. I had my Prosine mounted like you have your for a brief time(and it is designed to mount that way!) and it's fan ran most of the time(mounted in an outside enclosure ambient around 80-85 degrees) when I wall mounted it, I thought it had problems since it hardly ran at all with out a load on it.

Yes, proper air circulation around an inverter makes a big difference on cooling for it. That's why the XW's wall mount mounts it 1" away from the wall. Even though there's no holes on the back side of it, the case of the inverter is the largest radiator on it. All the fans do is move air in the event the natural airflow around it is not adequate. So if you install it in cramped quarters where there is little natural air movement, guess what has to run to move the air there?

I would not draw any conclusions until the machine is installed properly on it's wall bracket. When it's 85+ degrees in our utility room, the fan in our XW runs steady too. And it's got over double the copper mass in it that the SW has. When it's only 40F in the utility room we can put a 5 kW load on the XW and the fan don't start for close to 45 minutes. If the DC section internal temp gets to the fan turn-on level, the fan runs. That's the way it's designed.
    --
    Chris
  • Dapdan
    Options

Ok all,

I have moved the inverter from inside the shelves. It is now on the top very close to its final destination on the wall. Therefore there should be more air circulation around it. It is still sitting on a top shelf with undoubtedly more natural ventilation around it. I had taken off the cover and took a peek inside. The 4" fans are two wire 12v 0.37A fans which means that the fans are rated at 4.4w for an approximate total of 9w for both. The inverter has been in operation for about 3 hours supplying a load of about 40w to a ceiling fan and the internal fans have been on the whole time. I also moved the ambient thermometer. It now reads 89f ambient and 91.8f at the exhaust of the fans. I will shut down the inverter and take an ir temp reading directly off of the transformer(as I know where it is since I peeked inside). The temperature on the iron core and copper windings is 94f measured through the vent holes by the transformer fan.

What say you guys.

Cheers...
    Damani