beginner's question

Options
Sonicwario
Sonicwario Registered Users Posts: 2
I initially started with 2 mx solar panel 24volts 235 watts, 4 trojan 105 re battery an outback fm 80 and a 2000 watts inverter. My initial output daily was between 2 to 2.3 kw I added 2 more same mx solar panels now my output is only 2.4 to 2.8 kw. Why it did not double the output. Thank you

Comments

• NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: beginner's question
    Sonicwario wrote: »
    I initially started with 2 mx solar panel 24volts 235 watts, 4 trojan 105 re battery an outback fm 80 and a 2000 watts inverter. My initial output daily was between 2 to 2.3 kw I added 2 more same mx solar panels now my output is only 2.4 to 2.8 kw. Why it did not double the output. Thank you

Unless you run a generator often, your output is what you consume. It is impossible to put into batteries more energy than you have taken from them since the prior day.
  • Sonicwario
    Sonicwario Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options

Thank you northguy. Also when I initially fired up my outback 80 and ask what is the voltage of my system I thought it is asking voltage of my solar panel so I set it up at 24 volts. My bather bankwas set up as 12 volts. So when I return from church 2 to 3 hours later my batteries were gassing up realizing my mistake reset fm 80 to 12 volts. Did I do permanent damage to my batteries?
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Options
    Sonicwario wrote: »
    Thank you northguy. Also when I initially fired up my outback 80 and ask what is the voltage of my system I thought it is asking voltage of my solar panel so I set it up at 24 volts. My bather bankwas set up as 12 volts. So when I return from church 2 to 3 hours later my batteries were gassing up realizing my mistake reset fm 80 to 12 volts. Did I do permanent damage to my batteries?

If it didn't last too long, you can look at it as a long equalization. If batteries overheat, plates may wrap, short, shed some material, something may melt. IMHO, if none of this has happened, this should be not deadly. I am not a battery exper though. Other guys here will be able to give you better ideas.

I would check the water level to see if too much water boiled out.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

if the plates became exposed you did and the degree of it would be the question. if exposed replace the lost water and cross your fingers. some automotive battery places can perform load testing. if the electrolyte stayed above the plates you should be fine, but replace the lost water with distilled water and do not over fill it.