wind turbine on mppt charge controller

mahendra
mahendra Solar Expert Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
hi there quick question by how much can a mppt charge controller that can be used for wind boost energy harvest on a wind turbine?thanks

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: wind turbine on mppt charge controller

It can't actually boost power at all. But under the right circumstances it can keep it from dropping.

I think what you're wondering about is this:

Turbines have a power curve which has an "ideal" to it at any given speed, much like PV's have an ideal Vmp * Imp. This does not always match with the demand (resistance loading) of the batteries. As such the MPPT function can "load" the turbine at the right level to maximize its current and Voltage for whatever power is available from the wind (i.e. not slow the turbine too much) and turn this into the best current output at correct Voltage for the batteries. How great this effect will be is dependent on the particular turbine and installation.

Something else to consider:

Many turbines suffer from low Voltage output which becomes even lower after it travels down a decent height tower and on to where the batteries are. If you have MPPT function you can use a higher Voltage turbine and reduce this V-drop in the wiring (as with solar panels). But if the Voltage isn't there to begin with you can't correct this fault.
  • mahendra

yes that's exactly what i am trying to ask, and actually i want to put an air 30 or air 40 on an external charge controller so as to get the maximum production from it .i know it cant produce more power than what it is rated for just trying to make it perform at optimum levels.
  • mahendra

while the built-in controller is great from experience i think it stalls the turbines performance to some extent especially when there isn't that ideal wind conditions.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

If the turbine already has a built-in regulator adding the MPPT controller to its output won't gain you much, if anything at all. "Double regulating" is a waste of components as the first circuit in-line with the power source will try to control the power and the second one will sit there being a waste of money as it has no varying input to regulate.

Again it will depend on the particular turbine and just what the regulator does (some merely clip/short the maximum Voltage to prevent over-speed).