SMA Sunny Boy 3000-US

trumpets3u
trumpets3u Solar Expert Posts: 35 ✭✭✭
I'm looking at this inverter and find it hard to find some of the info I want to know. Does this have a built in mppt?
It does tie up to the grid but does the grid take over when the batteries go below a set point?
Thanks Brian

Comments

• SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Re: SMA Sunny Boy 3000-US

This inverter is Grid Tied, not battery based. Works straight from Solar Arrays
    Need to look at Sunny Island etc if you want battery based inverter. Or from other manufactures, Schneider Conext XW series.
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    trumpets3u wrote: »
    I'm looking at this inverter and find it hard to find some of the info I want to know. Does this have a built in mppt?
    It does tie up to the grid but does the grid take over when the batteries go below a set point?
    Thanks Brian

All SMA PV inverters have MPPT.

No SMA inverters do both PV and battery inversion.

The SB3000-US is a PV inverter (no batteries). When the grid goes down it shuts off.
  • couchsachraga
    couchsachraga Solar Expert Posts: 84 ✭✭

FWIW I believe SMA does have on product that does both batteries and grid tie, or at least has the capacity to do one or another. A friend of mine is considering it for his location. It may be the Sunny Island previously mentioned or another model.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    FWIW I believe SMA does have on product that does both batteries and grid tie, or at least has the capacity to do one or another. A friend of mine is considering it for his location. It may be the Sunny Island previously mentioned or another model.
    No, they don't. The Sunny Boy is PV only (no batteries) and the Sunny Island is batteries only (no PV). If you have both they will play well together in an AC coupled system; perhaps that is what your friend is contemplating using.
  • jaggedben
    jaggedben Solar Expert Posts: 230 ✭✭

The Sunny Island can also be used in conjunction with a charge controller and PV panels, like other off-grid battery based inverters. The charge controller is a separate purchase. For some reason SMA's own charger is not UL listed, and apparently not sold in the US. I don't know if there are difficulties in using other charge controllers with a Sunny Island.

ggunn is correct that no single SMA product does both battery and grid-tie inversion.
  • stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    jaggedben wrote: »
    I don't know if there are difficulties in using other charge controllers with a Sunny Island.

No difficulties at all, the SI works very well with other charge controllers- and because they require you to install an external current shunt the SI battery monitor continues to work, it's charging phases continue to synchronise and it adjusts the max charging current based on what it sees through the shunt.