Help need to install AirX FDH400

drake
drake Registered Users Posts: 11
Hi All,
I have a AirX Fdh400 that I will like install but I need some guideline on how do the installation, such as battery and invert
type.
I will like to go off grid so I need all the help you guys can give to me.

Cheers
drake

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Help need to install AirX FDH400

All the help "us guys"can give, is read all ycan on small scale wind, especially on this forum. You will find Tht few people have had very god luck ith long term small scale wind installations. The harsh realtiy is that small wind machines rarely if ever produce as advertised nd are not long lived.

The great irony is that if you have enough wind to be useful you probaby have too much to assure hardware longevity. Wind hardware is subjected to lots of live loads, and must live in a harsh environment. To reduce the effects of turbulent grnd effected air, they must be mind AT LEAST 30' above the nearest obstrution that is closer than a coupeof hundred feet. A tough task usually.

Because they live in harsh environments, AND they are not readily accessible they tend to break down quite rapidly.

Memeber Chris Olson here is probably the best resource, since he has designed, built and installed many units, and currently lies off grid with winding PV.

As for going. "off grid" consider the issue carefuly and your reasons for doing so. You will not save money, and with batteries involved you won't be particularly green. You should seriously look into grid tie as an option. In addition, conservation is your cheapest energy savings.

Welcome tot he forum, and keep in touch,

Tony
  • Thom
    Thom Solar Expert Posts: 196 ✭✭✭

He might have very very very small loads ! :0)

Thom
    Off grid since 1984. 430w of panel, 300w suresine , 4 gc batteries 12v system, Rogue mpt3024 charge controller , air breeze windmill, Mikita 2400w generator . Added 2@ 100w panel with a midnight brat 
  • drake

Hello Guys,
    thanks for you all reply and support, however I got the FDH400 up and running.

Thanks Guys
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Let us know how it works out for you (AH @ XX volts per day, per month, etc.). How high the turbine is mounted, etc.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • drake

BB,
    Thanks for your reply, however I have bad news in regards to the turbine, there is no output voltage from the machine.
    What I notice at high speed the red led comes on while the green led flickers and goes off.
    Can you give me some info as to how these leds works. The typical wind speed at the turbine site is 10 to 25mph, the height
    is 25ft with clearance right around so I am looking for top performance from this unit.
    What can I do to lesson the noise level that comes from this unit I find it to be very noisy.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

If it is not putting out voltage, perhaps it is overspending since it is not being loaded, hence the noise. Solve the output issue and perhaps the noise issue will go away?

Tony
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    drake wrote: »
    What can I do to lesson the noise level that comes from this unit I find it to be very noisy.

When I was thinking about installing a wind turbine, I found that many (most?) are very noisy. You can find recordings of AirX (I think it was AirX there among others) noise on YouTube. They say that the turbines get especially noisy when they start furling. Is it furling?
  • BB.

I am very sorry, I do not have any information on the turbine... And from the manuals (I think) I could find, none of them mention having a red/green LED.

You will have to contact the seller or the manufacturer for help. I guess this is the mfg (purchased rights/product/etc. from Skystream for the smaller wind turbines):

Primus Wind Power, Inc.
    938 Quail Street
    Lakewood, CO 80215 USA
    Tel: 303.242.5820
    www.primuswindpower.com

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Thom
    Thom Solar Expert Posts: 196 ✭✭✭

talcoelectronics.com/wind-manuals/air-x-land-manual.pdf

That's the the manual . It must be connected to a battery or it will free spin .
    Off grid since 1984. 430w of panel, 300w suresine , 4 gc batteries 12v system, Rogue mpt3024 charge controller , air breeze windmill, Mikita 2400w generator . Added 2@ 100w panel with a midnight brat 
  • drake

Hi Guys,
    I got mixed up the name of the wind turbine, it`s a NOVA FDH400 wind turbine and not the AIR-X as mention before.
  • BB.

Is it this vendor?

http://www.novagroupcn.com/Wind-Generator/400W-Wind-Generator.html

It may be an AirX turbine... When outsourcing hit China, products can leak out through other than "non-original manufacturer" distribution channel--Or just get cloned (sometimes with the same parts/electronics, some times not).

-Bill
  • drake

BB,
    the link that you post is correct, however I got the turbine sorted out and working except that it need winds 15 to 20 mph to see significant out put.
  • BB.

That is probably correct... If you use their one of two data points:

Kilowatt Hours per Month :40Kwh/mo at 12mph(5.5m/s)

40,000 WH per month * 1/30 days per month * 1/24 hours per month = 56 watts average output at 12 MPH

Most wind turbines mounted "low" (under 30') don't produce much power until it is "miserably" windy. You can do better at 60' and start to do much better at 90+ feet.

-Bill
  • drake

I am considering changing from three blades to five blades to see if they will be and improvement in the efficiency at lower wind speeds, I am unable to increase the height at this location.
  • BB.

I have read of a few people here that have tried after market blades and were happy with them.

In general, it is blade diameter that is going to give you a lot more power (2x diameter = 4x swept area = 4x power).

But, everything has negatives. Horizontal Axis Wind Turbines (HAWT) need loading or other controls to limit their maximum RPM in high winds (an unloaded and/or turbine in heavy winds will exceed its RPM spec and self destruct).

Turbine Alternators adding swept area puts more loading on bearings, yaw bearings, and tower--Will be dangerous to go beyond the turbine's design capacity. And if the blades supply too much torque power to the turbine, they can overheat the windings.

Perhaps somebody hear with a similar model can give you some real world suggestions.

Good luck!
    -Bill
  • drake

Thank for your technical advice, I will try contacting the manufacture again and raise this idea with them to see what sort of response I will get.
  • drake

Hi Guys, I am considering using the Hugh Piggott Wind Turbine guide to build myself a wind turbine. Question what type of charge controller will I need? I will like to use commercial type blades rather than building the blades, any recommendation.
    I will appreciate any help from you all.
  • BB.

If you are serious about getting substantial power from a larger wind turbine--Then you should consider using a Midnite Solar Classic + Clipper (dump load+controller--I think). During development, the team at Midnite found they could get something like ~2-3x more power from a MPPT Charge controller vs just hard wiring an alternator+rectifier to a battery bank. An MPPT charge controller "matches" the (more or less) higher voltage/lower current, RPM dependent power curve to the fixed voltage/variable current required by the battery bank.

Usually, you need some sort of dump controller (either on the MPPT side, or on the battery side) to control the RPM of the wind turbine. Unlike solar, were we can just "turn off" the panels when less power is needed, or no longer needed (nothing bad will happen to a solar panel "turned off").

However, to make use of this (not cheap) configuration, you probably should be looking at at a 60-90+ foot tower... Which is not cheap either.

Some links:

Wind Power Links
    www.otherpower.com (good forum for DIY Wind Power)
    Hugh Piggott - Scoraig Wind Electric site for tons of info (from mike90045)
    Scoraig Wind "Recipe Book" for DYI Turbines (from Chris Olson... From his 4/11/2013 post)
    www.greenpowertalk.org (added from "russ"--Like here but more wind/less solar)

Chris Olson has posted a lot here and has given lots of advice. We are not a "major" wind forum, so most of his posts here have been about the balance of system (charge controllers, generators, solar panels, etc.). He does post at other forums too--So you should find more details about Chris' take on DIY wind power. You can search for posts/threads by Chris (click on his user name):

Dairyland
    Windpower

And there is Midnite's own forum:

http://midniteforum.com

-Bill
  • drake

BB, most of all thanks for the links that you posted, they very educational on the subject. I am very serious about alternative energy,
    however wind power is my first start in this area and I find it to be very interesting.
  • drake

Hi Guys,
    I am seeking you all help the NOVA FDH400 wind turbine, it works fine except in wind of about 10 to 20 mph it will start fine after a while it will swing around rather than staying in the wind.
    Question, is there anything I can do to keep it steady.
  • BB.

The general answer are:

The tower should be level/square where the turbine is mounted.

The tail needs to have enough square inches and a long enough moment arm to hold the turbine square to the wind (there are probably rules of thumb for this--Hopefully somebody can answer that question--Or you can go through some of the wind forums/information links I provided and find the guidelines).

Lastly--Is the turbine high enough to be in laminar (non-turbulent) air flow. If the turbine is too low--You will lose lots of power and have problems with hunting. A quick and fun way to find out your "laminar" flow level is to "go fly a kite". Where the kite becomes stable (assuming the kite itself is stable), that is your minimum laminar flow altitude for the direction of wind (obviously, wind from different compass points passes over different objects/landscape--so the level may be different when the prevailing winds shift).

That is about all I can suggest.

-Bill
  • drake

BB,
    you have answered my question in regards to the height, the turbine is about eight feet above the my house and there some fruit trees not to far from the turbine installation.
    I don't know if you are familiar with this turbine but I was thinking about adding a piece of Plexiglas on the tail to see if that will help stabilized it in the wind from dancing around.
    I idea of using the kite is a very good method, from experience flying kites it do works.
    I am unable to increase the height so I will have to use a work around method.