Concrete footing size

2»

Comments

• Coach Dad
    Coach Dad Solar Expert Posts: 154 ✭✭
    Re: Concrete footing size
    tons001 wrote: »
    IronRidge doesn't even sell a ground mount for a 4" plus size pipe. The options are 2" or 3" pipe for a ground support array. Maybe I did not make myself clear that is NOT a single pole array but a multiple support low to the ground tiny (by comparison to some of yours) array. I appreciate all of the feedback but I must not have made myself clear when I asked my question. Sorry. I am certainly not using four 8" schedule 40 pipes in a ton of concrete each to mount five 22" x 48" solar panels a foot off the ground regardless of the angle. :blush:

My Bad… I was thinking pole mount not ground mount.

Ground mounting should not be much of a problem for 5 panels… I would have to agree that your 10” sono tubes should be more than enough. Just toss some stone in on the bottom for drainage.

How high off the ground do you intend to place your panels? I see you are from Illonois.. If you get snow in your area, you should account for the snow height plus the snow that slides off the panels and accumulates at the base of the array.
  • vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Coach Dad wrote: »
    If you get snow in your area, you should account for the snow height plus the snow that slides off the panels and accumulates at the base of the array.

And if you have lawn in front of the panels, make them high enough that the lawn mower doesn't throw grass, pebbles, etc at the panels.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • tons001
    tons001 Solar Expert Posts: 71 ✭✭

I am just glad I am not nuts. LOL. I am planning a 55 degree angle as a compromise between winter/summer sun since the angle will be fixed. The low point of the array will be one foot above the ground to allow clearance for the lawn, etc but the snow height is good idea as well. I will add some more height. Good call on the drainage ... I will add some stone to the weekend shopping list.

Thanks everyone! I have the holes almost dug but I am totally not looking forward to digging the 50' trench for burying the electrical conduit.