Problem with Blue Sky Energy 2512iX controller

System
System Posts: 2,511 admin
Found controller had stopped charging even though the controller advised
(1) Solar Panel voltage 19.7v (2) winter sun out (NZ) (3) Battery capacity left 30% (4) Battery voltage 11.9v (5) Air Temperature 14 degrees C Inside RV 19 degrees C. Controller not hot about room temp. Charge light off, and unit clicking ever 40 sec. After about 15 min came back into charge mode again.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Problem with Blue Sky Energy 2512iX controller

First, can you quickly recharge your battery bank with a genset/charger? Staying that low (assuming flooded cell lead acid) is just eating months/years off of its life.

Assuming that all of the connections are solid (check voltages on the controller's lugs directly, sometimes corrosion or connections loosen)--try disconnecting plus leads to the charger (solar panels and batteries) and let it sit for a few minutes (in case anything needs to reset). Reconnect and see if it working or not...

I don't know the details of that controller--so I am out of ideas (you could also try emailing their support line).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Thanks Bill. The Outback inverter/charger is recharging the AGM batteries as we speak and they will be up to full capacity within a few hours.

I have checked all connections and have found nothing loose. I checked for all the usual faults as you suggested but found nothing wrong. Using the additional features of the 2512iX controller I was able to measure the solar panel output at 19.7 volts but there was no current. The unit was clicking about every 40 seconds and the click reminded me of the sound of a relay clicking.
    Bonner
  • System2

Just wondering if you can see the PV voltage drop when the controller clicks. A high resistance somewhere, even out in the PV area, could provide full voltage until a bit of a load is presented, at which point the voltage would drop out. Along that same thought, can you measure current available from the PV, directly at the input to the controller? A high resistance anywhere in the PV circuit would show up as low / no amps from the PV.
    Just trying to rule out everything else before condemning the controller.
    Good luck
    Wayne
  • System2
    I was able to measure the solar panel output at 19.7 volts but there was no current.
    Bonner
    Just reread your post and saw this jewel. This if taken at face value, indicates a high resistance somewhere in the PV circuit, which provides voltage to fire up the controller, but as soon as the controller tries to fire up, it begins to load the PV, the voltage drops out because of the high resistance, so the controller shuts down again. If there are PV's in series, the problem could be at the connections of any one of those PV's, or perhaps even an internal problem with one of the PV's. If more than one series string, then the problem, unless all strings have the same problem, would be between where the PV's are combined, and the controller.
    This can also be an intermittent problem, thus explaining it sometimes charging after 15 minutes of trying.

Wayne
  • System2

Hi Wayne
    There are 4 small solar panels in parallel (soon to be replaced with 2 x Day4 170 watt each) all connections have been checked. The panel outout voltage of 19.7 stayed constant while the control unit was clicking but not putting out any current in the winter sunlight. To me it appears more like a controller fault and my main reason for posting the problem was to see if anyone had experienced a similar problem.

Bonner
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

i suspect the pvs (please state make and model if you can) to be the problem and not the controller as 19.7v is quite low for the open circuit voltage. do you have a dmm to verify the short circuit current of the pvs? please check each of them individually for sc current and oc voltage. if we can rule out the pvs then we could suspect the wiring/connections. ruling that out too then look at the controller.
  • System2

Hi Niel

The Panels are Siemens M75 Open circuit volts 19.8 Volts on load 15.9. Amperage on load 3.02 x 4 panels. Regretfully when the fault was on I did not have a suitable ampmeter to do a short circuit test across the solar panel output. At 0750 am today the controller is working properly.

Bonner
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

that intermittent problem may reoccur and is tough to track down until it rears its ugly head again. in the meanwhile check all connections and wires to be good.