Tax credits for energy storage in the US

Comments

• Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Tax credits for energy storage in the US

Have we not already been doing this......
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    Have we not already been doing this......

I'm not 100% current (hehe) on US energy policies, but I thought that existing tax credits were based on generation of power through PV and didn't say anything specific about storing that energy.
  • Dave Angelini
    Dave Angelini Solar Expert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    stephendv wrote: »
    I'm not 100% current (hehe) on US energy policies, but I thought that existing tax credits were based on generation of power through PV and didn't say anything specific about storing that energy.

Battery based inverter systems with RE are subject to the credit weather they sell or run offgrid homes, but not for long. The bozo solar store in Florida is saying it ends in 45 days. I was under the impression it was longer. Are you all settled in to the offgrid lifestyle now? It must be 5 years now!
    "we go where power lines don't" Sierra Nevada mountain area
       htps://offgridsolar1.com/
    E-mail offgridsolar@sti.net

• SolarPowered
    SolarPowered Solar Expert Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

The best way to make use of the tax credits is to go Hybrid. Engineer the system to work on and off grid, and the credits are achievable whether it is battery storage or not. Over build the battery end of the system and run a smaller grid inverter, set up a communication link between the grid tie and the island, and then just include the isolation switch to keep your system off grid.

People have been doing it for the last 2 years since the sunny island received UL listing. This is nothing new for most experienced in solar design, and tax credits.