Securing Solar Flex mats for storms

2Guido
2Guido Solar Expert Posts: 62 ✭✭
Having great success with these 144 watt flex mats that peel n'stick, but am concerned about securing them better for hurricane season. I noticed there is a 2inch black border either side of the pvs and wondering if it is safe to drill through the border to screw the mats into the actual roof .Problem is I don't know if there is a bus wire going through these borders. If anyone has any knowledge as to the internal wiring of these things or other suggestions as to what to do in securing them better, I would much appreciate it...
Thanks....

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Securing Solar Flex mats for storms
    2Guido wrote: »
    Having great success with these 144 watt flex mats that peel n'stick, but am concerned about securing them better for hurricane season. I noticed there is a 2inch black border either side of the pvs and wondering if it is safe to drill through the border to screw the mats into the actual roof .Problem is I don't know if there is a bus wire going through these borders. If anyone has any knowledge as to the internal wiring of these things or other suggestions as to what to do in securing them better, I would much appreciate it...
    Thanks....

No idea what is in the border, but you could also cause a moisture leak into the inside, depending on how they are encapsulated. I would feel better clamping them down with thin wood or metal strips running in the same area. That would also avoid the problem of pulling screw heads through the mat or squashing something inside.

You have a good idea since wind-caused peeling is most likely to start at the edges of the mats.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.