vasaline for batteries?

Options
gww1
gww1 Solar Expert Posts: 963 ✭✭
Is heat sink paste called dilectic paste if I buy it at lowes or manards? Can I use vasaline for the petroleam grease for battery terminals?

Thanks
gww

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: vasaline for batteries?

Yes you can use Vaseline to keep corrosion off battery terminals; it's been done for years. "Petroleum jelly" is the generic term.

Dielectric paste and heat sink grease aren't the same, though. Heat sink stuff is made to have high thermal transfer properties.
  • gww1
    Options

coot

Where would I buy heat sink paste and what would it be called.

thanks
    gww
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

Any electronics supply store or even DIY computer store (where they sell processors and mother boards). Search for Thermal Grease or Thermal Compound:

Jameco Electronics (close to my home in SF Bay Area--have used before, not the cheapest).

But, I would probably go down to the local auto parts store and get some battery terminal anti-corrosion compound/gel/spray/etc. or treated felt rings (typically red/green) that set at the base of the posts.

Also--If you have problems with lots of terminal corrosion--Look for leaks at the posts (batteries should not leak), no over tightening or heavy/thick cables leveraging the terminals, or overcharging causing electrolyte mist to bubble out the caps.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • gww1
    Options

Bill
    I haven't bought the batteries yet. I did buy some battery anti corrosion spray over the internet but it was High $ and I don't think it will go for. I will have to stop at the auto parts store and see what they have.

Thanks for the link. I believe I will just order from them the smallest tube. That stuff seems to go a long way.

Thanks
    gww
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    Options

I used a thick layer of vaseline on my battery terminals, lugs, even screws and bolts. They look like new after 10 months. It was very cheap in the nearest drug store.
  • gww1
    Options

Northguy
    Thanks for the imput.

Bill
    Changed my mind about ordering at this time. $10. min. order. Still nice to know what to look for and where.

Thanks
    gww
  • vcallaway
    vcallaway Solar Expert Posts: 157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

A trick that I picked up at a car show and works. Show car owners don't want goo on the battery terminals.

Plain, ordinary hair spray. Been using it for years, no corrosion.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

NAPA sells a battery spray that works well. Vasoline is a pretty good alternative and pretty cheap.

Tony
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

vcallaway,
    be careful with hairspray being it is quite flammable.
  • Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

"be careful with hairspray being it is quite flammable"

Often used as propellant for potatoe guns.

Ralph
  • vcallaway
    vcallaway Solar Expert Posts: 157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

True, but you have sparks you have other problems ;)

Lots of things under the hood of a car are flammable. My big trucks have ether tanks, have not blown one up yet!
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    niel wrote: »
    vcallaway,
    be careful with hairspray being it is quite flammable.
    Hopefully the OP will not try to spray the battery with the engine running, and will also make sure that the solvent has evaporated before starting.
    There have been some serious accidents from improper use of alcohol-based hand sanitizers too.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • gww1
    Options

I don't know if it is the alcohol or the arisol but wd-40 makes one heck of a tourch. I wouldn't trust the op.
    Cheers
    gww
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    inetdog wrote: »
    Hopefully the OP will not try to spray the battery with the engine running, and will also make sure that the solvent has evaporated before starting.
    There have been some serious accidents from improper use of alcohol-based hand sanitizers too.

you know that reminds me as my dumb neighbor did that with hand sanitizer as she was attempting to sanitize a light switch. it sparked in a flash of fire and she called the fire dept. i just shook my head and told her what she put into that light switch. the fireman just looked at her and said listen to him.:roll: