Just getting started...

spotter2
spotter2 Registered Users Posts: 2
Hi. We have a remote access cabin and I recently purchased 6 CS6P-230P solar panels from a friend. My plan has always been to have a 24 volt system. I need help on how to actually assemble and the pieces I will need to complete this off grid system. Any help will be graciously received.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Just getting started...

Welcome to the forum.

Well nothing like putting the cart before the horse, eh? :D

So you've got six 230 Watt panels and want to build a system around them. Normally you figure out how much power you need (loads) then get the right size inverter and battery bank to supply it, then come up with the panels and charge controller to recharge the batteries.

But that's as maybe.

I don't find a 230 Watt version of Canadian Solar 6P panels listed, so I'm going to guess Vmp around 30 and Imp around 7.8. Six of them gives you a 1380 Watt array, and you must run at least two in series on an MPPT controller to have sufficient Voltage for charging a 24 Volt system. Three strings of two in series would be preferable, but you could run two strings of three in series. See this bit: http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?16241-Different-Panel-Configurations-on-an-MPPT-Controller

The amount of batteries that would work best for this array would be somewhere around 440 Amp hours @ 24 Volts. That would work well with two parallel strings of four 6 Volt 220 Amp hour "golf cart" deep cycles.

You will need an MPPT controller of 60 Amps for this (don't trust it to Morningstar's 45 Amp controller as the current potential could go over so you should leave some headroom).

Inverter size? Well since we don't know what you want to run or what the budget is I can't really say.

How are we doing so far?
  • spotter2
    spotter2 Registered Users Posts: 2

Your assumptions are very close on the specs. Vmp=29.8v and Imp=7.71A. Our plan is to run an refrigerator and 6 lights. I still would like the option of 2 fans and a radio. I am so new to this that I don't know what I don't know. I'll check out the link and if I have more questions I'll be back.

Thanks
  • Jamaican cherubim
    Jamaican cherubim Registered Users Posts: 9

All you need to know now is the load that you will be applying to the system and we can calculate how big of a battery bank you will need and the size inverter, as cariboocoot earlier suggested that a 440 ah battery bank wud be ideal for your array size, now we will need to know the (power rating) how many watts these appliance consume and how many hours a day you intend to use them for. Until then.
  • Panamretiree
    Panamretiree Solar Expert Posts: 278 ✭✭
    spotter2 wrote: »
    Your assumptions are very close on the specs. Vmp=29.8v and Imp=7.71A. Our plan is to run an refrigerator and 6 lights. I still would like the option of 2 fans and a radio. I am so new to this that I don't know what I don't know. I'll check out the link and if I have more questions I'll be back.

Thanks

For ceiling fans check out Emerson Eco fans. These were brought to my attention on my other forum. They draw 17 to 21 watts at high speed with a cfm rating of ~6000 cfm (depending on the fan). They have up to a 6' diameter with 16" pitch. They are pricy but when operating a PV system, every watt counts.

Cheers

Ernest