Quick refresher please - Solar setup

Options
Steven Lake
Steven Lake Solar Expert Posts: 402 ✭✭
Ok, given all I've already setup and researched a full house setup before, and I know I should remember this, but I'm having an epic level brain fart right now. Then again I might not be, but I figure to ask since I can't find a complete description anywhere that tells all of what I need for a house setup and I don't trust my memory on this. Actually, what we're doing is building an off grid tiny house on a trailer. Part of that includes a solar setup for power. So it'll work just the same as an off grid house setup, only smaller and mobile. Now, to be sure I've got all my ducks in a row, I'll list out what I remember and you guys tell me if I got this right.

Solar Panels -> DC Breaker Box -> Combiner Block -> Charge Controler -> Battery Bank -> Fuse Box/Breaker -> Inverter -> AC breaker box -> outlets.

Now, I'm guessing that's everything and includes enough protection in the system in case anything has an "oops" along the way and draws too much current which in turn will help avoid any problems with fires, stuff burning up, etc. Your 2c is welcome. Thanks. And also I apologize for the senior moment in advance. ^_^;;

Comments

• porch13
    porch13 Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Quick refresher please - Solar setup

I'm new at this but I think you're missing a fuse/breaker between the charge controller and battery bank.
    Northern Arizona...4050 Watt off-grid system - Outback FP1 - Rolls 605 in a 48V bank
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

You might take a look through some of these sample quotes from NAWS' website (unfortinatually, only Grid Tied):

http://www.solar-electric.com/grid-tie-example-systems.html

And their primer on RV/Off grid systems:

http://www.solar-electric.com/about-rv-solar-electric-systems.html

I am not sure you are at that level, but your 1 wire diagram would need a little work:

Solar Panels -> DC Breaker Box -> Combiner Block -> Charge Controller -> Battery Bank -> Fuse Box/Breaker -> Inverter -> AC breaker box -> outlets

Solar Panels -> Combiner Box+breaker/fuses -> DC switch Box Optional) -> Charge Controller -> Breaker/Fuse/Switch -> Battery Bank -> Fuse Box/Breaker -> Inverter -> AC breaker box -> outlets

Of course, there are mounting rails, grounding/ground rod(s), Lighting Suppressors (if needed/desired), Some MC-4 connectors/male/female jumper cables, etc...

I would put a Hydrometer+a DC Current Clamp DMM on site for debugging/monitoring, and even some basic hand tools/spares (fuses, lengths of wire, tape, etc.).

Got to go right now... Back later.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Steven Lake
    Steven Lake Solar Expert Posts: 402 ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the help guys. Sorry I haven't been around or more responsive lately, but planting season has been kicking our *** this year. First we had too much white stuff, then too much wet stuff, things breaking down, cows getting out of their pastures, wolves and coyotes eating our rabbits and chickens (bloody mangy little turds, I'd like to wipe out the lot of them) and the milk parlor catching on fire. So, um, yeah. It's been a fun spring so far. Not! lol. I'll ping you guys back with any further questions once we get through this mess. But in the meantime, I again want to say thanks to all of you for your wonderful help. :)
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

you sure all that happened or was it another brain fart? i get those allot lately.:confused:

also each paralleled pv or strings of pvs beyond 2 each get their own fuse/breaker before being combined. you may have meant this, but i have to be sure it wasn't just gas.:p