trickle charging large battery bank with small panel

Poolguy
Poolguy Registered Users Posts: 10
Is is possible to keep two 6 volt golf cart batteries that are already fully charged and not hooked up to anything charged using a small 10 watt panel using the usual charge controller setup? The reason that I am asking is that I have a set of spare batteries destined for future use down the road and I already have the extra little panel and controller etc. Just curious about this mainly.
Thanks!

Comments

• icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: trickle charging large battery bank with small panel

That small of a PV would probably not even keep up with self discharge. I would consider a bigger panel. It isn't going to hurt any however.

Tony
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Usually, around a 1% rate of charge is good for Maintenance charging (put the two 6 volt batteries in series for 12 volts):

17.5 volts charging * 220 AH * 1/0.77 panel+controller deratings * 0.01 = 50 Watt panel
    50 Watt panel / 17.5 Vmp = 2.9 amp Imp

I would still suggest a charge controller:

SunGuard 4.5 Amp 12 Volt Solar Charge Controller (cheap)
    Morningstar SunKeeper Panel Mount Controller 6 Amp (has LED for status)

If you get the first one, probably should take a volt meter out once a month and check the batteries are still fully charged.

If you get the second one, you can just glance at the bi-color LED for status...

Since you already have the 10 watt panel--Go ahead and use it. Go out once a week to once a month and check the battery bank voltage (at night, you want to batteries >12.6 volts, during the day you want them >13.2 volts or so when charging/floating).

Once a month check the water level (you are probably not going to boil them dry with a 10 watt solar panel and no controller).

If the batteries slowly discharge, you can bring out battery charger on an extension cord once every month or three and give them quick charge (8 hours? depending on charger used).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

1% current on 220 Amp hours = 2 Amps.
    2 Amps * 17.5 Vmp = 35 Watt panel.
    This 40 Watt panel http://www.solar-electric.com/so40wa12vomu.html has Vmp 17.3 and Imp 2.35

You're making the math more complicated than it needs to be, Bill. ;)
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Just using our typical deratings... But I am sure that 40 watts will work fine too.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset