Xantrex Prosine 1000w inverter 24v

Options
vanman
vanman Solar Expert Posts: 29
:confused:Probably not in the right section but

A few months ago My prosine inverter would shutdown and beep continuously until I reset it.
thought it was my printer as everytime I turned it on it shutdown.but then my pc did it later as well.
So summers nealy here in the UK and I want to run my caravan(home for the last 4 years in my Ma and Pas front garden,housing shortage bla bla bla )
Anyway I tried it yesterday and it just sticks in shutdown and flashes the display and beeps loudly.
Checked the big internal fuse for corrosion and cleaned contacts so they are clean just in case.
Voltage is never low or high as I have 28 yuasa battery's in top condition and a 520w solar tracker and a charge controller from xantrex c60 and 1000w heater dump load from futurenery.com.:cry:

Xantrex dont repair and dont supply schematics just exchange at high price.

My question is there a solenoid switch inside the unit that could be stuck as after self testing it should release the inverter to output power fan was working fine before

please help
need a professionals advice

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Xantrex Prosine 1000w inverter 24v
    vanman wrote: »
    Voltage is never low or high as I have 28 yuasa battery's in top condition

How do you know that your batteries are in top condition? I don't know much about your inverter, but I suspect that it may be objecting to low input voltage from your batteries. The reason I suspect that is because you have 7 parallel strings of batteries... that is a ************ for trouble with the batteries.

--vtMaps

edit: what's going on? I tried to use the word pre-script-i-o-n and the forum replaced it with asterisks.
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • vtmaps
    Options

I'll try again:
    you have 7 parallel strings of batteries... that is a RECIPE for trouble with the batteries. --vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    vtmaps wrote: »
    edit: what's going on? I tried to use the word pre-script-i-o-n and the forum replaced it with asterisks.

We don't know; that's just the latest forum quirk to show up.

And yes the Prosine has a relay in it and they are known to stick. Sometimes a good rap (aka 'one inch drop test') gets it unstuck. I think someone even replaced their relay. Search for "Prosine" and read all about it.

Batteries may well be good, but the Voltage needs to be checked at the inverter as wiring can cause trouble. As vtMaps said, that many batteries in parallel is certain to be a problem. It is not possible that they will share current evenly, no matter how carefully wired. This would be really bad on a 12 Volt system, slightly less so on 24. But nevertheless it is there.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options

It is one of the (few) words that we put in the censor file... For a long time, we had problems with online Pharmacies spammers (along with a couple of drug names too).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    It is one of the (few) words that we put in the censor file... For a long time, we had problems with online Pharmacies spammers (along with a couple of drug names too).

-Bill

That makes sense. Niel tried to write it the other day and got the same result. Since it isn't normally used for electronics it isn't much of an issue. :D
  • vanman
    Options

I will look for the relay tomorrow as its still cold here outside
    battery's are a consistent 26vdc at rest and the c60 limits to 28.6vdc then the dump load cuts in.

cheers guys
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I will look for the relay tomorrow as its still cold here outside
    battery's are a consistent 26vdc at rest and the c60 limits to 28.6vdc then the dump load cuts in.

??? What size and type are the batteries? 560watts of solar doesn't support a lot of storage. Resting voltage for Flooded lead acid batteries would normally be less than 26 volts (27.4-6v), how long are you waiting to test voltage?
    With Solar you don't need a dump load, do you have a wind turbine as well?
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • vtmaps
    Options
    battery's are a consistent 26vdc at rest

resting voltage means very little. What is the battery voltage when you load them down?
    --vtMaps
  • petertearai
    petertearai Solar Expert Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Maybe check the voltage at the inverter while running and pulling a load.
    2225 wattts pv . Outback 2kw  fxr pure sine inverter . fm80 charge controller . Mate 3. victron battery monitor . 24 volts  in 2 volt Shoto lead carbon extreme batterys. off grid  holiday home 
  • vanman
    Options

Does anyone know what the relays look like,If I could identify it I could attempt to fit a new part myself

By the way this is not a battery problem to every on else on the forum
  • vanman
    Options

it will not switch from shutdown mode, I personally think its the solenoid thats stuck and keeping it from resetting itself
  • vanman
    Options

It will not allow it to run as its stuck in shutdown mode
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭
    Options
    It will not allow it to run as its stuck in shutdown mode
    Coot told what to do, if it's stuck, lay a towel on a table and pick it up and drop it flat on the table from a couple inches. if that doesn't unstick it, send it off.
  • vanman
    Options

I use these battery's mine ar 6v battery's in banks of 24v connected using multi strand welding wire and connectors crimped on
    EN & ENL
    Valve Regulated Lead-Acid Batteries

Suitable for all standby applications including Telecommunications, UPS, Emergency Lighting. Endurance range Batteries from Yuasa are the engineer’s choice for even the most critical standby applications, available in 10 year (EN) and 15 year (ENL) models.
  • Photowhit
    Options

I don't doubt that you have a problem with your inverter, I guess you've tried jarring the inverter as suggested?

What does the display say when your having these problems?

A couple things about your battery bank, Batteries designed for long years of standby, might not be designed for months of regular deep cycling, Also as noted you have multiple strings, which can create a problem discovering and tracking down problems. Just checking the voltage of each string when disconnected can be telling in weaker strings or problem batteries may show up as a lower voltage, All batteries fail over time, once a battery in one string fails, the other strings will be brought down trying to raise the voltage in the problem string.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

i'm surprised nobody paid much attention to this,
    "a charge controller from xantrex c60 and 1000w heater dump load"
    now i realize you probably supplement your heat with this, but solar does not require a dump load type of regulation as that is more for wind. i don't know if this arrangement is causing any problems or not, but it's not impossible.
  • Photowhit
    Options

The question has been asked, along with what the voltage is under load, we just haven't heard back. (sorry if i missed that being asked, niel)

Perhaps the Vanman doesn't understand that we are seeing a system problem and want to help with a system, so we'll ask questions.

I have a few Prosine's, I think they do give some indication on the display as to why they shut down, I can't recall what but I'm willing to search. In the end with incomplete information, we can give incomplete answers and suggestions.