Solar Powered Attic Fan

n3qik
n3qik Solar Expert Posts: 741 ✭✭
With Uni-solar not making framed panels at this time, I can not expand my current system. So what to do with 7 ES-62 panels. Project #1, make a solar powered attic fan(s). Got the first one done today. The panel was $330 and the rest was from scraped parts for home and work. Retail systems are $300-$450 for 20-30 watt. I am ahead of the game on this one. Now to make two more.

Here are some pics.

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Solar Powered Attic Fan

maybe i'm not seeing rightly, but how is the air being pushed passed the pv as i see no openings? for the fan portion in the attic i'd box it in with 2 bys and place some type of metal screening there to prevent accidentally getting injured. i did this in my attic, but mine is wired for 120vac as i've not enough pvs or any 12vdc fans to run it otherwise.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

Continous Ridge Vents with perferated soffits naturally will keep attic tempatures reasonable and is actually better as in the winter your solar fan will super cool the attic increasing the heat load on the home

Further, looking at the picture you have the fan far below the ridge, your not going to remove the hotest air near the ridge ( hot air rises )

Make sure you have LOTS of roof mastic on that frame, look like to be the first wind driven rain and its ruined celings in the house

Lastly, you have created a fire hazard, when the motor failes to turn ( someday it will ), the PV will just pump into the motor and create heat. I don't wish this on you, but if forbid it caused a fire, your home-owners insurance would not pay as its not a UL listed device
  • n3qik

The front/bottom is open. This is a pusher setup. I do have a ridge vent, but the soffit was not vented when the capping was done. This is on the list of things to do. This is the quicker fix. I do plan on putting a temp switch, just need to find one that can handle DC. There is plenty a roofing tar to seal the seam, it was applied after the pic. Both motor and panel are UL listed.
  • Solar Guppy
    Solar Guppy Solar Expert Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭

A Snap Switch should be fine, Grainger sells them

Insurance wise, the entire unit would need to be listed, while I think its remote that it would catch fire, I try to point out what might not be obvious to some DIY folks, which is any non-ul products added to a home give a get-out-of-pay-free card for insurance companys and the first thing they look at on a fire is what caused it ...

redoing the soffit is a pretty straight forward project, a weekends work and they sell the stuff at home depot ( J channel, Soffit ect )
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

a pusher setup? so does that mean it blows out or in? in would be good for the low location and sg that was a good catch.
  • n3qik

SG-Unfortunately, the capping goes behind the gutter. When I installed 77' of seamless gutter the new hangers where screwed in the capping. So I would have to remove the gutter and hangers to remove the capping. A long time ago I saw 2-3" screened plugs. You would drill though the capping and soffit with a hole saw. Then snap this plug into the hole.

niel-Yes, it blows the air into the attic.