AGM battery UB121000 by UPB

Options
Almot
Almot Registered Users Posts: 1
Hi, there, my first post, hopefully not totally naive. Have bought a few AGM batts by UPB from WindSun. I know they are VRLA and supposed to have valves, but I don't see any valves. How this is possible? There is nothing on the surface, just 2 terminals and handles. Here is the manufacturer info: http://powerupco.com/site/wp-content/files/Batteries/UPG/UB121000.pdf . Anybody here had these batteries?

Oh yeah, and the manufacturing quality of Chinese factory is not a top-notch. Walls are supposed to be flat, but some were slightly rounded from the day one. Didn't notice until put them side by side in the box. Works well though.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: AGM battery UB121000 by UPB

I would guess that the cells are under a snap on top (although, the top may be ultrasonically welded too).

The cell caps probably screw into the battery and contain the pressure relieve and catalyst (to recombine hydrogen and oxygen gases back to water). Here is a paper that talks about the design issues and operating pressures of such valves.

Strait walls are not very strong against internal pressure--and I would expect the walls to bulge a little bit if there is internal pressure (the batteries probably vent under a couple of pounds of pressure--not very much).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset