Trina pv at NAWS

louielouie
louielouie Registered Users Posts: 18
NAWS has listed a new source of pv.
Trina.
this panel shows a cost below a dollar/watt ratio.
leaving out the manufacturing source, china, can anyone tell/say something about this panel?
i currently have two kyocera pv, and am looking to get two more.
these are obviously cost attractive.

Comments

• SkiDoo55
    SkiDoo55 Solar Expert Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    Re: Trina pv at NAWS

Have 20 Trina PA230 running since 08/10/2110 no issues with them.
    GT3.8 w/4600W Trina 230W, TX5000 w/5000W ET-250W, XW4024 w/1500W ET-250W, 4 L16, 5500W Gen. (never had to use) Yet!!
  • louielouie

HS that's quite an array you have there.
    thanks.
  • solarix
    solarix Solar Expert Posts: 713 ✭✭

I think PV modules are getting to be pretty much of a commodity. $/watt is driving sales. I happen to have Trina myself because they were a good deal at the time. Absolutely no trouble so far. Glad to see host is getting more competitive. I've seen prices below $.80/watt in pallet quantities.
  • louielouie

living here in flyover country, one of the items that drives my sourcing, is freight.
    buying from NAWS, i can buy two, pay for three.
    not very good economics.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Yep--I always say check what the price is delivered to your door step. These large panels (typically >~140 watt) are usually shipped by truck. And it costs almost the same to repackage and ship one panel as it does to ship an entire pallet.

Note that none of us moderators here work for or are part of NAWS. We are all volunteers (and not in the solar business).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Rick1
    Rick1 Registered Users Posts: 24

48 Trina 235 watt panels installed 04/10/2012. All working great. On sunny days in spring and fall they clip about 2 hrs at 225 maximum watts each with the M215 inverter.
  • louielouie

i think i found one difference in trina panels vs kyocera.
    mechanical.
    the kyocera pv consist of the panel, a frame, and two intermediate supports.
    the trina pv consist of the panel and a frame.
    by leaving out the intermediate supports they cut cost.
    so far can't tell ANY difference in performance.
  • Coach Dad
    Coach Dad Solar Expert Posts: 154 ✭✭

I've been running 6 Trina 235 Watt panels for over a yuear now. No problems. They even deliver more than the rated power in the winter.
  • DaveH9
    DaveH9 Registered Users Posts: 13

My 14 Trina have worked just fine. Check the warrantee, Koycera used to be 10/90, 20/80 trina is 12/90 25/80. This was from the last time I checked, which actually may be a couple years ago.

But the question on warranty is will the company be around to honor it, or will they even honor it if they are around.