Replace failed panel.

Options
I have 40 Sanyo HIP200 BA19 panels installed in a grid tied system. Two roof mounted systems made up of Four strings of 5 panels to a Xantrex Inverter. The system is rated at 8KW and produces 10KW. I installed the whole system myself 5 years ago. One of my panels needs to be replaced. They do not make these panels any longer, and I do not want to pay $900.00 dollars to get a new one. I can not find any used ones. I have been looking for some time. Sanyo made 195 and 205 models in the same HIP line that would fit. I would like to know what specifications I have to match up besides the physical dimensions to safely replace the panel with a different one from any manufacturer.

Comments

• westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Replace failed panel.

you will want to get a panel with a higher wattage so that it does not decrease your entire strings out put. A lower rated panels will draw that string down to its level.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options

Welcome to the forum.

Since this is one panel in series with others forming a string it is important that the Imp of any replacement panel is very close to the old ones (preferably the same or higher, as it will limit the current of the string).

At the same time, since you have more than one string in parallel you need the Vmp of the new panel to be very close as well, otherwise the one string will be lower Voltage than the others and will act like a partially shaded string. If it is within 5% it should be unnoticeable. 10% would be the outside.

It appears this panel has a very unusual set of specs: Vmp 55.8, Imp 3.59
    That will be very difficult to duplicate.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rayhat wrote: »
    I would like to know what specifications I have to match up besides the physical dimensions to safely replace the panel with a different one from any manufacturer.

For panels in a series string, the Imp of the new panel should be within 5% of that of the other panels. For a large series string like your 5 panels, the Imp should be higher than the original, never lower.
    Since you will be changing just one series string out of a group of 4, the other thing you need to insure is that the total string voltage of the new string, from adding up the panel Vmps, is within 5% of the total panel voltage of the other strings. Again, since this is one string against three, the Vmp of the new panel should be equal to or higher than the original panel Vmp if possible, but it is more important that the Imp be greater if you have to choose between them.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • inetdog
    Options
    It appears this panel has a very unusual set of specs: Vmp 55.8, Imp 3.59
    That will be very difficult to duplicate.

Possibly adding in one mismatched panel of similar wattage along with a DC optimizer for that panel would be a solution?
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    inetdog wrote: »
    Possibly adding in one mismatched panel of similar wattage along with a DC optimizer for that panel would be a solution?

Good idea, depending on just how much shifting one of those optimizers can do. Not sure it could boost a 35 Vmp panel up to 55, or even that it could run in that kind of range. I think they're mostly designed to boost "within the panel's range" rather than 2X it. But I don't make them so I can't say for sure.
  • Rayhat
    Rayhat Registered Users Posts: 2
    Options

looks like I'm shelling out the big bucks.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Rayhat wrote: »
    looks like I'm shelling out the big bucks.
    Either a 195 or 205 from the same product line would work if they are more readily available.
  • inetdog
    Options
    Good idea, depending on just how much shifting one of those optimizers can do. Not sure it could boost a 35 Vmp panel up to 55, or even that it could run in that kind of range. I think they're mostly designed to boost "within the panel's range" rather than 2X it. But I don't make them so I can't say for sure.

Looking at it harder, I think that he would have to put an optimizer on each panel in the series string so that they could communicate with each other to negotiate the preferred operating point for each of them.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    inetdog wrote: »
    Looking at it harder, I think that he would have to put an optimizer on each panel in the series string so that they could communicate with each other to negotiate the preferred operating point for each of them.

Quite probably. As I recall, those things cost a bit of money too. Could negate any savings over buying the matching panel.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Curious, did the panel fail, or get broken? They are pretty simple devices and perhaps could be repaired?
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • ggunn
    Options
    Photowhit wrote: »
    Curious, did the panel fail, or get broken? They are pretty simple devices and perhaps could be repaired?
    We had a single module fail on a system we installed. When our guy got there he found a small but extreme impact area and a .45 cal slug lying nearby. From the tilt angle of the module and the lack of deformity of the slug, it looked to us like someone fired into the air and this was where the slug came down.
  • Cariboocoot
    Options
    ggunn wrote: »
    We had a single module fail on a system we installed. When our guy got there he found a small but extreme impact area and a .45 cal slug lying nearby. From the tilt angle of the module and the lack of deformity of the slug, it looked to us like someone fired into the air and this was where the slug came down.

Was this in Morocco by any chance? :p

(So I don't have to explain later; it is traditional there to fire guns into the air as a greeting.)
  • ggunn
    Options
    Was this in Morocco by any chance? :p

(So I don't have to explain later; it is traditional there to fire guns into the air as a greeting.)
    Temple, Texas. Same difference. Yee-ha! :D