First diesel half ton truck

Options
solarvic
solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
Interesting new diesel coming out 3rd quarter of this year. http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2013/02/ram-1500-becomes-industry-first-half-ton-diesel-pickup.html New Dodge diesel truck. :Dsolarvic:D

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: First diesel half ton truck
    solarvic wrote: »
    Interesting new diesel coming out 3rd quarter of this year.

Talk about a short-bed pickup, the one in the illustration is positively claustrophobic looking behind the crew cab!
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • solarvic
    Options

Went with my brother a couple weeks ago when he bought a new ford All the crew cabs have short beds. If you want an 8 ft bed you have to buy a reg cab or extended cab. solarvic
  • DavidOH
    DavidOH Solar Expert Posts: 112 ✭✭✭
    Options

Good news.. I've been wanting a smaller Diesel. The only thing available was the Jeep! They only made then a couple years. Everything else was GIGANTIC or tiny!
    I don't want a monster truck, duelies, or crew cab, nor do I want a Volkswagen! Nissan/Isuzu/Toyota had a small one also. None are available new.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

"....RAM 1500 Becomes Industry-First Half-Ton Diesel ..."

What a load of crap(mod I should use much worse words), just since I've been driving there have been a few, anyone remember the;

Isuzu Pup FWIW Isuzu helped design the "2013 1st half Ton Diesel"

and of course the diesel Volkswagen Rabbit truck.

Both of these got near 2x the mpg but lacked current emmisions
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Thom
    Thom Solar Expert Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Photowhit wrote: »
    "....RAM 1500 Becomes Industry-First Half-Ton Diesel ..."

What a load of crap(mod I should use much worse words), just since I've been driving there have been a few, anyone remember the;

Isuzu Pup FWIW Isuzu helped design the "2013 1st half Ton Diesel"

and of course the diesel Volkswagen Rabbit truck.

Both of these got near 2x the mpg but lacked current emmisions

Those really arn't 1/2 ton trucks . Toy trucks yes .
    Off grid since 1984. 430w of panel, 300w suresine , 4 gc batteries 12v system, Rogue mpt3024 charge controller , air breeze windmill, Mikita 2400w generator . Added 2@ 100w panel with a midnight brat 
  • Photowhit
    Options
    Thom wrote: »

I believe the VW was a 1/2 ton, but I know the Isuzu was well over 1/2 ton, and a 'real truck' I'm pretty sure it had a 4x8 bed as well!

I had a friend with one 'back in the day' who helped me move.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • solarvic
    Options

My neighbor had a pup till recently. Seemed he was always having engine pronlems and it didn,t have enough power to get out of its own way. Last time it blew a head gasket it went to dog (PUP) heaven. It was a long bed, the same size as the toyota trucks of the time. I had a 1985 toyota 1 ton truck that really would haul a ton. I think the beds were about 7 ft.long. I think there will be a market for a full size pickup with a diesel if the motor gets a good track record. If they do I might just trade in my cummins RAM-250 with about 180 thousand miles. Solarvic
  • Thom
    Thom Solar Expert Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    Options

No not 4x8 . A mini truck with a long bed is 7 foot. The VW bed was not separate from the cab . Like a Chevy El camino . But if it works for you great .
    Thom
    Off grid since 1984. 430w of panel, 300w suresine , 4 gc batteries 12v system, Rogue mpt3024 charge controller , air breeze windmill, Mikita 2400w generator . Added 2@ 100w panel with a midnight brat 
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thom wrote: »

I once had a 1965 Datsun pickup with a load rating of over 1100 lb. (With the variable spring-length suspension bottoming out on its rubber bumpers, and using low gears, but within the factory specifications) but it was definitely not a 1/2 ton truck. :-) The tires were inflated to 50 psi though.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • solarvic
    Options

Here is a 85 toyota 1ton truck like I bought new and had for 6 years. I traded it on a wimpy new 91 ranger 3 litre v/6 5 speed after having the toyota. I hated it as t sure didn,t even come half way to the toyota in performance and hauling ability. Guess What!! I found a 1986 comercial for a 1986 1 ton truck that was identical to my 1985. I had people tell me I was full of crap when I ordered front brake pads for it. The auto parts store just went ahead and ordered me pads for a half ton when I specificaly told him to get pads for a 1ton. I had totake him out and show him the 1 ton emblem and he had the brake pads on stock. I think they were the same as a Cressida took. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omL_JumuSs4&NR=1&feature=endscreen
  • solarvic
    Options

Photowhit, You were right about there bieing small diesel trucks before. Toyota had them too. I think the dodge truck might be the first big body truck in the pickup class built in America, ( I HOPE ) Since Fiat owns chrysler now the diesel motor comes from Spain. Possible it could be a gutless wonder only having a 3 litre engine. Seems to me like a small engine to haul a big body truck. We shall see!!! If it does have enough power it should sell well as lots of people don,t want the extra weight of the 3/4 and 1 ton size. If anyone watches the 1986 1 ton toyato add they might be inpressed. I had a new 1985 1 ton toyota. Too bad they don,t start making them again. I would buy one in a heartbeat. The beds rusted preety fast and the cabs and frames were like new yet. In 6 years my bed was getting rusty and I traded. Worst mistake of a trade I ever did. There were factory built wooden beds that looked really nice and I wish I would have got it. I saw one around that I think could be the one I had and the cab still looks good. Anyone that didn,t see the vidio in my previous post might enjoy it, especially if they have one or a newer toyota truck. :Dsolarvic:D
  • mikeo
    mikeo Solar Expert Posts: 386 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Too bad they don,t start making them again.
    They do, It's called the Toyota Hilux sold in Central and South America, Australia, Europe and Africa. They are just not sold in the US. I have one with a 2.5 liter diesel and a 2400 pound payload capacity. Tows 5000 lbs and I can get 30 MPG on the highway empty.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

The current US emissions laws regarding diesels (probably) means will will not have any small/cheap/reliable diesels around for a while.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • ChrisOlson
    ChrisOlson Banned Posts: 1,807 ✭✭
    Options
    Since Fiat owns chrysler now the diesel motor comes from Spain.

The engine is the same VM Motori used in the Jeep and it comes from Cento, Italy - not Spain. It's a fairly potent little V-6 and has decent power.

I got one RAM Cummins 3500 (my service truck) with a 12-valve and 5 speed that has 1,064,000 miles on it. It's on its third transmission, fifth clutch, second transfer case, second rear end, second front drive axle and has some body rust - but the oil pan or head has never been off the engine.

My other RAM 2500 Sport short bed has a 24-valve HO engine with a six-speed Spicer and Dana/Eaton military axles. The engine in that truck is chipped and it put 566 hp and 1,040 lbs of peak torque to the wheels the last time I had it on the dyno. That truck has spent most of its life pulling our fifth wheel camper and boat together and it has 266,000 miles on it. It gets 18 mpg pulling our 30 foot fifth wheel and Alumacraft boat behind the fifth wheel camper.

My wife's Dodge Cummins has a 6.7 in it with a manual 6-speed Spicer. We got hers chipped too, but it's not as wild as mine. We've pulled the camper and boat with her truck before too, but it don't get the fuel mileage that mine gets. My 5.9 HO Cummins has a higher compression ratio (17.2:1 vs 16.3:1) with a bigger Holset turbocharger and Bosch pencil nozzles with six-hole tips - Cummins only built the HO engines two years (2001 and 2002) before they went to the common rail ISB's.
    --
    Chris
  • solarvic
    Options

Chris, Sorry I got the country of origin wrong. I got that mixed up with the Ford Escape ( I think Which is made in Spain). I too have a dodge with a cummins. Mine is a 1992 with the 5.9 model. Never had it chipped as it gets 22 or 23 mpg on a trip. Mine has about 175.000 miles and still runs like new. Had the ecm rebuilt as Chrysler doesn,t make replacements for that year. Now the speedometer needle jumps all over but still registers the milage. Was wondering if the ecm controls the speedometer. Transmission is automatic that was rebuilt a few thousand miles ago. Rebuilder recomended a shift kit as he thinks one problem is the transmission originally slips enough thru gear changes that the cummins can eat them. So I got the shift kit and there is no hesitation between shifts. Do you know much about that deisel from Italy? I hope to get at least one new diesel truck before I cash in. solarvic
  • mikeo
    mikeo Solar Expert Posts: 386 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I hope to get at least one new diesel truck before I cash in. solarvic
    If you could be happy with a small truck, I would suggest this one from Toyota
    Attachment not found.
  • ChrisOlson
    Options
    Do you know much about that deisel from Italy?

Yes, the VM Motori A630 V-6 diesel has proven to be pretty good in the Jeeps. Probably one of the best, if not the best, diesel engines in its class. It has been out since 2011 with no known issues or problems with it.
    --
    Chris
  • Photowhit
    Options
    ...If it does have enough power it should sell well as lots of people don,t want the extra weight of the 3/4 and 1 ton size. ...

I always wonder about what others consider performance or power, I likely have had over 2000lbs(level load of fire bricks in short bed) + a fat guy and skinny girl in the front of a 4 cylinder GMC S15 (S10 pickup) and made it home including 'High Hill' on the I70 service roads where available perhaps 60 miles. It made it, squatted and other than High Hill I'd manage minimal I70 speeds, the truck liked going 55 though and I rarely pushed it.

I've had a deisel rabbit and I don't know if I passed more than a couple people in the 2 years I owned it, but it got 48mpg on it's last day with me (the milage got better while I had it) and if I chose the "most powerful" vehicle I've driven it was a deisel log skidder with less horse power than my SX750 motorcycle (70 vs 75) It wouldn't win a race, but it would be glad to pick up one end of 3 - 20" trunk logs and drag them up a pretty good sized hill.

Watched the vid on the 1ton toyota, pretty neat!
  • ChrisOlson
    Options
    Photowhit wrote: »
    I always wonder about what others consider performance or power

Cummins N14 Celect Plus - 855 cubic inches, 625hp @ 1,900 rpm, 2,070 lb-ft torque @ 1,250 rpm.

HPIM0878.jpg

That's performance and power. Anything else is just a wannabe.
    --
    Chris