Looking for a company that makes a mobile energy system?

Options
Hello,

I am looking for a mobile energy system like the ones skybuilt (www.skybuilt.com) makes?

Anyone know of another company that builds these wind / solar panel and generator systems?

Thanks,

Simon

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Looking for a company that makes a mobile energy system?

hi, long time no hear from.
    i see you're still trying to get some wind power, but if that company has a mobile system then why are you looking for somebody else?
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Hi Niel,

It has been awhile.

Always good to see what options are out there.

You know of any?

Simon
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

no i don't as i haven't been looking lately.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

A few people have built their own--For something like HAM or an off-grid festival where there is not a large power requirement (where generators make more sense for a few day planned event).

Batteries, a few Solar Panels, Charge controller, inverter, and trailer (with possibly a back up generator and fuel), would be a good place to start.

I would tend to stay away from a wind turbine unless you know you have very good winds where you would be setting up, plus can safely guy/stake the wind turbine tower to prevent accidents.

A true solar+battery system makes sense for a location where it will be deployed for months in appropriate weather (sun/wind), and where fuel is not available...

For a short term deployment (days/week or two), the weight of the batteries and size of the solar panels (plus wind tower) just does not have the energy density/cost efficiency of a Honda eu2000i and a few tens or hundreds of gallons of fuel (maybe diesel for longer deployments). 400 watts at ~2 gallons per day--two weeks, 30 gallons of fuel (~180lbs of fuel, + 50 lb generator)... Vs panels, batteries, turbine, tower, stakes+guys, and a back up generator anyway (if emergency use).

And, even though you would have to cycle through fuel to keep it fresh (or convert to propane), batteries don't store/travel much better either (aging, topping off of water if wet cell, vibration/weight), etc...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    Options

Hey Bill!

Looks like the old gang is still here.

Yeah, those pesky batteries still seem to be an issue no matter what project you are talking about.

I did find one other company:

http://www.portawatts.com/

Gotta love the name.

Thanks.

Simon
  • BB.
    Options

Good Morning Simon!

Looking at PortaWatts, I am convinced that you could design build a better system yourself with a lower cost and a better "footprint" for your needs...

900 Watts of panels on that nice trailer, after losses and such, would give an average of 100 watts continuous operation over 24 hours (in sunny summer weather--for most places).

4kW inverter--at best, 30 minutes of use per day at full power... 11kW of batteries @ 50% usage--maybe an hour of useful storage at 4kW, and 2-3 days to recharge from panels.

Do that for 5 to ten years with little maintenance--not bad. Do that for a few days of deployment at $32,000... ugh...

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • System2
    Options

Yeah, I thought the amount of solar panels seemed quite low.

At this point, we are investigating what is out there. It would be nice to have a mini-power station (wind, solar, inverter and batteries) that could be used in remote areas in developing countries.

I agree, the footprint needs to be something more durable and sturdy.

Good advice as usual Bill.

Later.

Simon
  • BB.
    Options

Looking for deployment to semi-permanent installations... I would really consider AGM batteries (no maintenance, no distilled water, tolerates storage at <75% SOC is not supposed to form hard sulfates).

You could also look for NiCad batteries--I don't know the price, but they were known for withstanding harsh conditions. But, having Cadmium probably makes them a poor choice for export and possible dumping into the environment.

For pure solar efficiency, pumping water during the day into a storage tank while the sun shines still seems the simplest and most cost effective.

Oh well...

-Bill
  • arcandspark
    arcandspark Solar Expert Posts: 63 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Check out a company called Polar Power. They make protable power systems for Telecom, Military, COmmercial, and some of the best generators I have seen. They also have Co-Generation systems. Arcandspark