Trace/Xantrex SW Series inverter - Overcurrent problem

Hi everyone

I'm new to this forum and new to living off grid!

I've inherited a trace/xantrex SW series inverter charger linked to a lister generator and batteries etc. been working fine with no problems.

I have suddenly acquired a problem with the inverter tripping straight to overcurrent (it won't invert at all). I have, as recommended, disconnected all the AC outputs to test and it is still going straight to overcurrent, which suggests it is a problem with the inverter rather than a short circuit somewhere in the house (none of the normal trip switches on the fuse box in the house have gone and everything works fine if I bypass the inverter and run straight off the generator).

I'm a bit stuck at this point. Can anyone help please?

I should add at this point that I'm not techie minded particularly, so be gentle with the jargon and acronyms!

Best

Guido

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Trace/Xantrex SW Series inverter - Overcurrent problem

Welcome to the forum.

The solution is simple: buy a new inverter.

The SW series were great in their day, but they are "no longer supported" meaning getting service & parts is not easy. Since you're not technical-oriented avoiding trying to fix it will be the least painful for you. There are some guys on the forum who do use them still and occasionally fix them who might want to buy yours for parts.

Not the most cheerful of news I know. But when something develops a fault like that it's usually a fried component somewhere and not an easy "replace the fuse" repair.
  • Blackcherry04
    Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

I'd kind of agree with Coot, the one thing you might do is disconnect one of the DC ( battery ) leads and reconnect it in a couple minutes and let it re-boot and see if it's a glitch in the control board. Have you tried to Clear the Fault, it might be a Stop Fault that has to be manually cleared.
  • Guido Off Grid
    Guido Off Grid Registered Users Posts: 3

Thanks both. I have disconnected the dc supply via the battery breaker and rebooted, but still no joy.

The other thing that occurs to me is that disconnecting the dc supply automatically resets to the factory default settings (presumably US settings) whilst here in the uk we operate to a different voltage (I think). It was disconnected last week for other reasons and I didn't input the bespoke voltage settings etc for uk use. I wonder if I have fried something? That said, they are all correct now, and it still doesn't work!

As much as I appreciate the advice, a new inverter isn't cheap!

Guido
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

UK uses 230 VAC 50 Hz. USA uses 240 VAC 60 Hz. If you have a UK model it won't 'reset' to USA output because this is not a matter of just programming.

If you have zero loads connected the inverter should start and produce 230 VAC on its output. If it goes to over-current with no load connected, it's fried inside. You don't want to try to start it if there's something connected that may really be causing and over-current problem (like shorted output wiring).

Disconnecting the DC should clear any faults as Blackcherry04 said.

You're absolutely right that a new inverter with features and functions along the line of the ol' SW is not cheap. But what is the alternative?
  • Guido Off Grid
    Guido Off Grid Registered Users Posts: 3

Ok. Getting used to the idea that it's probably knackered.

Are there easy recommendations for a more up to date inverter that does everything the SW does?

Guido