Ready ! - Aim ! - ...

Options
12346»

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,447 admin
    Options
    Re: Ready ! - Aim ! - ...

You should be able to post pictures... For me, the forum software will automatically down-res them to fit the forum limits.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Skippy
    Skippy Solar Expert Posts: 310 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Ready ! - Aim ! - ...

Well guys, I had to post multiple times, but it's there !

Have a look at my Rocket Mass Heater build under the "energy use and conservation" area.
    [h=3]Rocket Mass Heater Build.[/h]
    2 - 255W + 4 - 285W PV - Tristar 60 amp MPPT CC / 3 - 110W PV -wired for 36V- 24V Sunsaver MPPT CC / midnite bat. monitor.
    1 KW PSW inverter 24V / 2.5 KW MSW inverter-24V ~ 105 AHR battery.
    3 ton GSHP.- 100 gallon warm water storage / house heat - radiant floor / rad
    9 -220W PV - net meter - Enphase inverters and internet reporting system.
    420 Gallon rain water system for laundry.***  6" Rocket Mass Heater with 10' bed for workshop heat.
    Current project is drawing up plans for a below grade Hobbit / underground home.
    Google "undergroundandlovinit" no spaces.
  • Skippy
    Options
    Thank you very much BB . . I am planning on getting this whole solar thing up and running this year (new years resolution) keep ya updated !
    2 - 255W + 4 - 285W PV - Tristar 60 amp MPPT CC / 3 - 110W PV -wired for 36V- 24V Sunsaver MPPT CC / midnite bat. monitor.
    420 Gallon rain water system for laundry.***  6" Rocket Mass Heater with 10' bed for workshop heat.
    Current project is drawing up plans for a below grade Hobbit / underground home.
  • Skippy
    Options
    Bit of an update for you guys.

Purchased the inverters for the panels

Then finally got around too paying the Electrical Safety Authority for the final inspection.
    When I called the inspector to find out if I had the right outdoor disconnect, he informed me that I could have a "rough in inspection" - final inspection and a post inspection - all for the one payment . . . which is good.  I was able to get him in for the rough in inspection - found out what type of disconnect I need, and installed it..  done.
    Had too install a grounding wire from frame too frame down into the electrical box. . . done.
    When installing the wiring into the breaker box, I did not realize that the solar panels go onto the line side, and the house goes onto the load side. ..  go figure. . . changed that around. .. . done.
     The only problem I have now is waiting for the labels to get made.  Need one label of each . .  line drawing - power from 2 sources and solar net meter disconnect.  Once I get the labels - and get em put up, I should be ready for the final.
    I also picked up all the pieces for the enphase system . . .

Will let you guys know how this thing works out. . .

• Skippy
    Options
    Anybody out there know how to get my sig. back ?

• Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2015 #157
    Options
    Skippy said:
    Anybody out there know how to get my sig. back ?

Hi Skippy,

Regarding your Signature:

When you are logged in,  click on that Mystery Gear-looking thing at the upper right of the Index page (and probably many other pages)  --  it is to the extreme right of your  Name.  Click Edit Profile.  On that page,  on the right margin,  toward the bottom of the page,  there should be a Signature Settings or similar button,  IIRC.   Will check the above.

All of those PVs look great.   Congratulations,   Vic

(Geez,  I sure HATE that this software always double spaces on a single Enter key press,  in my entire life,  have never run into a system this makes this ERROR,  ever,    FWIW,  Vic)

Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • Skippy
    Options
    Thanks for the info, I was already in that area. . .  My signature from the old forum is just plain gone . . .  I guess I can re-type it in . . it's just - well - a pain in the chair warmer . .  :smiley: 
  • Skippy
    Options
    Picked up the labels for the disconnects . . .  had too go to a trophy place too get em made . . . total cost - 45 $  - Done !

Final inspection is next week.  Keep ya updated.

Outside disconnect :

Inside disconnect :

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For others, there are online sources for labels a bit cheaper....
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • Skippy
    Options
    Ya, I know . .  get the internet ! . . .  :)

I am  now grid intertied !  :D

Funny you should mention the internet.... I had too get an internet connection to be able to use the Envoy system . . . so  . . . for 10 $ a month, I can get 99 mb of data usage.  I just so happens that the envoy system uses about 2.5 mb a day, so at around 75 mb a month, it should be a good fit.  In the picture below, you can see the wifi hot spot on top, with the wireless router set in repeater mode, and that is connected too the Envoy control panel. 

It works !

This is the reason I spent the extra 800 $ for the envoy part of the inverters . .

After plugging everything in, and doing a "device scan", the envoy "scanned" all 9 panels.  But when I went into the main screen, I noticed that I had only 3 panels putting out 523 watts...

That night after work, I went up on the roof ( 1 am. ) and (after turning of the power)  found that in the middle junction box connecting the middle set and far set of panels - there was a loose red wire... problem solved.

Now I have all 9 panels being scanned by the envoy - AND - 9 panels reporting their output.

Yes, the output of all 9 panels is at 107 watts.  Go figure, just flipped the switch, and 2 full days of cloud cover... :'(

The good news is, that today before getting on the computer, we have intermitent clouds, and at 11 AM - the system was putting out just over 1500 watts. . .  COOL !  B)

I Thank you guys for all your help, and if anything Funky comes up, I will be sure to let you guys know.  I am hoping that this 2,000 watt array will hit 1800 . . but hey, I am still new to this  . . :wink: 
  • Skippy
    Options
    Finally managed to get my enlighten web site up and running . .  and we have a problem . . .

I can log onto the enlighten web site, and see what each one of my panels is doing at any time .  . . in graph form . .   or time lapsed form . .  interesting problem is that the top right panel is dropping out half way thru the day.

Morning pic :

That one panel is reading as lower output then the others, and then around 1 pm, it just drops off. . .  considering the panel in question is on the far right, and the sun is shining from left too right, any shadow should start on the left and work it's way to the right.. .
    After 1 PM

So I guess, the first thing I need too do, is get up there and clean the panel.  What would be the next step ?  Swap inverters from top right to center ?

Will have too see....
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015 #163
    Options
    Heat build up?   Crud under the panel?

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada
  • Skippy
    Options
    I was having the same thoughts, when I called my solar guy, I told him I would be checking the DC connectors - maybe it was a bad connection, and heating up and disconnecting . . . but, I have good news  ! ! . .   :smiley: 
    Waited till it was sunny out, went out around 3 p.m. to the shop, had a look up, and the bottom panel on the left side was totally covered in shadow - from the wood stove chimney !  - DOAH ! - The sun is much lower on the horizon now than in the summer . . .  :blush: 

I am guessing, that when I entered the numbers in the web sites "solar array builder" - it went sideways on me - and flipped the array upside down . .  which explains the higher numbers on the bottom of the above picture . . . since the top - upper panels are getting more sunshine - the output is higher on those panels . . . as well as putting the "bad" panel at the top of the array . . . 

So, I went into the web site settings, and flipped the array around .. . now it is in the right orientation . . . and the rocket stove chimney has been shortened considerably . . so, now I am waiting for that pesky hawk to come and leave a present on one of my panels and see what happens . . . I think that far right panel does have some droppings on it, but will have too check later . . .

I figure that if my fridge is using .65 of a KWH or so - that one panels worth of power loss - from 12:30 on -  could almost power the fridge every day . . . so the chimney had too go ! !

• Skippy
    Options
    Just an update for you guys . 

In this picture, you can see the panels in the mid position . . .

It is a nice sunny sunday here, so I  pulled out the ladder and raised the panels to the "winter" setting . .

When I went inside to check the output, It had jumped from 1.35 kw up too 1.46 kw . . .

Just so you guys know, I do not know the exact angle these panels are on, just that they are catching a bit more of the winter sun in this position . . .

Still do not have the steel braces finished on the inside, so I will put them back down after the sun goes by . . . :wink:

Hope to make a new record for output . .  so far I have hit 1.91 kw . .