Our new hydropower turbine arrived yesterday

frenchriverland
frenchriverland Registered Users Posts: 6
Hi Guys:

Our new Kiser turbine arrived yesterday and we have placed the last piece of 12 foot diameter pipe. Please see www.frenchriverland.com for an update.

Sincerely,

Bill Fay

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Our new hydropower turbine arrived yesterday
    Hi Guys:

Our new Kiser turbine arrived yesterday and we have placed the last piece of 12 foot diameter pipe. Please see www.frenchriverland.com for an update.

Sincerely,

Bill Fay

Hi Bill,
    Thanks for the link. I will have to spend some more time wandering through the site. It is a refreshing mix of big business ($5,000,000 for a new penstock, for example), very small people (not just men) with very big machines, and dogs running forklifts. :-)
    I hope your venture goes well.

--Dave
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Eat your heart out Wayne!

Nice Job, very interesting!

T
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    icarus wrote: »
    Eat your heart out Wayne!

T

Hahaha my first thought when I read of the penstock diameter was HUGE! WOW!!
    But I guess I'm very lucky to have what I have, with it's 6 inch diameter "penstock" and the little stream that due to carefully tending to the gate at the little lake, almost never goes dry. Sometimes I wish I had more but then step back and realize how extremely lucky I am to have even this little humming thing in the brook. The sun has been gone for 7 hours, the water pump ran when needed, keeping the normal house system pressurized, the fridge and two freezers have ran as they saw fit, the computer, TV. dish receiver, and necessary lights have been on all evening. And of course the air exchanger never stops, and still the battery voltage is 12.95, thanks to that little humming thing on the end of it's 200 foot penstock down by the brook. No, I've truly been incredibly blessed and have nothing at all to complain about, only things for which to be thankful. Still - - wouldn't it be nice? Hahahaha
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Guys:

Sincerely,

Bill Fay

Bill,

I spent a very entertaining evening reading your web site. You guys do some very cool stuff, and if I was 20 years (well maybe 30 years ) younger I would be knocking on your door looking for a job. The cool stuff, the big hardware, the real world engineering challenges are just the kind of stuff I love doing.

I have always said I was born a century too soon. I love big old iron, the only cooler stuff than yours is steam locomotives! Good luck with your projects!

Tony
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    icarus wrote: »
    I have always said I was born a century too soon. I love big old iron, the only cooler stuff than yours is steam locomotives! Good luck with your projects!
    Tony
    A century too late maybe? Or are you figuring we will be back to steam again in 100 years? :-)
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • frenchriverland
    frenchriverland Registered Users Posts: 6

Thanks for your kind comments!

Kudos to the gentleman with the hydroplant in his back yard. He is truly a "jack of all trades".

When I was a child we used to go to Clarks Trading Post in Lincoln, NH. Ironically, we restored steam locomotives. I have a fond photo of my father, Dan Fay, driving a restored 80 ton Lombard Log Hauler through the back woods at Clarks. By day my father made working scale models of steel mills. In the evenings, he made working scale models of steam engines. You may be interested in some of the photos of his models:

https://picasaweb.google.com/frenchriverland/SteamDreams?authkey=Gv1sRgCNGc_qOzyrCi0AE

and

https://picasaweb.google.com/frenchriverland/PoppasSteelMillModels

Sincerely,

Bill Fay