Problem with Magnum AGS

Options
plongson
plongson Solar Expert Posts: 115 ✭✭
Has anyone had a similar problem...

We have a 4448PAE, BMK, AGS and ARC-50 remote where all the AGS features work great. If you have one you know what they are. The problem I've got is the generator will NOT auto-start on AMPS. It works fine with SOC, volts etc. but will absolutely not start on the AMPS option.

We've been off grid over a year and I know this system and the settings like the back of my hand. I've experimented with a ton of settings and configurations, but no joy...

I need to call Magnum and talk to a tech, but I wondered if I was alone on this...

Paul
3500w solar, 800AH with Rolls Surrette, Magnum inverter, Midnite charge controller, Kubota 21kW diesel genset...private well...and just recently connected to city power for additional options...nice to have options 

Comments

• SolarMusher
    SolarMusher Solar Expert Posts: 176 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Problem with Magnum AGS

Hi Paul.
    Your AGS/ME-ARC can autostart on amps but only on large load to inverter. SOC auto-start is a better option, why don't you want to use it?
    Please tell us more on what you want to do.
    Erik
  • plongson
    Options

Hey Erik, I use the SOC and saw thread here about the generator support. It got me thinking about a safety backup in case someone starts the electric oven before starting the genset. My wife and I are good on that issue, but I have a others around that might make that mistake.

It's just a back-up safety plan, although if fine tuned, I may use it myself.

I called Magnum, and where I was making the mistake (I hope, I haven't tried it yet) is I was monitoring DC amps and not AC amps to make my set-points (DUH...) ya, I know dumb but it's the first mistake I've ever made...LOL :blush::blush:
    3500w solar, 800AH with Rolls Surrette, Magnum inverter, Midnite charge controller, Kubota 21kW diesel genset...private well...and just recently connected to city power for additional options...nice to have options 
  • SolarMusher
    Options

Hi Paul,
    ;););)
    Remember that it will start your gen on AC amps only when you'll draw large loads such as owen but it won't auto-start it in another way.
    So for now, you should be right.
    Kiss x3 to the trouble makers.
    Erik
  • plongson
    Options

Erik, will it only start on ONE or THE OTHER? Not EITHER?

Example: Start on 80% SOC OR 30a AC load?

Example: If I'm at 90% SOC and someone accidently fires up the oven, I want the gen-set to auto start to avoid a huge DC draw from batteries and inverter EVEN THOUGH the SOC is above it's auto-start set-point.

Hope this makes sense...
  • SolarMusher
    Options

I think that it will only autostart only on the last setting you've selected, SOC or AC load but not either.
    In your example, auto-start on AC amps will start the gen if owen is fired up and... that's all. I'm pretty sure that auto-start on SOC won't work if it's not your last selected choice.
    I have never had enough time to experiment it, so I could be wrong. Usually, I set auto start on 50% to 70% SOC depending on the capacity of the bank.
    In Haute-Savoie where I come from, we would say that you couldn't have butter, money for this butter and the farmer (female) who made it ;)
    How many amps does this owen draw?
    Erik
  • plongson
    Options

A $hit load of amps. I saw 100dca when I gave it a trial run the other day and quickly shut it off when the generator didn't start. That would be a real bummer if it's not EITHER but OR...I need to experiment.
  • SolarMusher
    Options

5kw, Oups! I think you'd better experiment a propane owen :roll:
    -40° here this morning, no AGS, no gen, no propane, nada. But batt full with 140Vmp from PV!
    Erik
  • plongson
    Options

No kidding. It only gets used for Thanks giving and Christmas though...
  • SolarMusher
    Options

Ok Paul. Shut off your owen breaker for batteries safety and use auto start on SOC. Manually start the gen to run this owen when you need it, it will charge your bank and supply your loads at the same time, your kubota can take it.
    Erik
  • SolarMusher
    Options

Hi Paul,
    I'm reading Chris Olson's Generator Support post, and find it very interesting. Did you read it?
    I think that he is using his system the way you'd like but I'm not sure that he can also autostart his gen in an other way such SOC, etc...
    Maybe, you can post on this thread.
    A+
    Erik
  • ChrisOlson
    ChrisOlson Banned Posts: 1,807 ✭✭
    Options

The Xantrex has four different timers for gen starting based on system voltage as well as load amps, and it auto-starts the generator on any of them. However, the Xantrex supplies true generator support where the Magnum inverters (at present) do not.
    --
    Chris