stator winding

ws9876
ws9876 Solar Expert Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
off topic.....when you wind these homebrew stators you end up with 6 wire ends. They say the final ends 1c 2c 3c get bundled
together and the beginning 3 leads go to the rectifiers,1a 2a 3a. I guess you always spool the wire counterclockwise on the winding jig.......anyway,after you bundle the c wires ,do you have to connect them to anything else like a ground or ?????

Comments

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: stator winding

Just solder them together, then insulate. It would be a 3 phase "Y" arrangement. That would leave 3 wires coming from the stator which would go to the rectifier pack. Just like the standard automotive alternator.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Just solder them together, then insulate. It would be a 3 phase "Y" arrangement. That would leave 3 wires coming from the stator which would go to the rectifier pack. Just like the standard automotive alternator.

And since you do not care in the least about the phase rotation order (as you would for a motor), it does not even matter which end of each coil you choose to be the common!

It only becomes important if you need to parallel or series connect multiple coils for each phase. But the overall polarity of the three sets of coils does not matter.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • ChrisOlson
    ChrisOlson Banned Posts: 1,807 ✭✭
    ws9876 wrote: »
    off topic.....when you wind these homebrew stators you end up with 6 wire ends. They say the final ends 1c 2c 3c get bundled
    together and the beginning 3 leads go to the rectifiers,1a 2a 3a. I guess you always spool the wire counterclockwise on the winding jig.......anyway,after you bundle the c wires ,do you have to connect them to anything else like a ground or ?????

Being a wye-configured three-phase wind turbine stator has a neutral, you can ground it if you want. But it's not necessary.

I don't know what you mean about spooling the wire counterclockwise. Every coil has a start and end lead and the polarity of the coil is reversed by flipping it over, even if it's hooked in series (end lead of each coil hooked to the start lead of the next coil) with the rest of coils in the coil group or phase. So which way you wind the coil doesn't make a bit of difference because you can change coil polarity by simply flipping the coil over.

I assume you're building a 4:3 pole/coil ratio flat three-phase, so every coil in a phase will have the same polarity. However, if you build a 1:3 pole/coil ratio three-phase (like 12 poles and 36 coils) then every other coil in each phase is reverse polarity.
    --
    Chris