Demonstration of Generator Support

15678911»

Comments

• 90cummins90cummins Solar Expert Posts: 57 ✭✭
    Re: Demonstration of Generator Support

Thanks mike95 I thought that was the case but I had to ask.
    Would be nice if it could also accept 120v only input when configured for 120/240.
    Looks like I need to find a 24v charger I can run with my EU2000 for extended operation to minimize fuel consumption IF a prolonged outage happens.
    I like options!
    90cummins
  • mike95490mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭✭
    90cummins wrote: »
    Thanks mike95 I thought that was the case but I had to ask.
    Would be nice if it could also accept 120v only input when configured for 120/240....

I hunted on ebay for a couple months to find a transformer to upconvert 120V from a small inverter generator, to 240v so I could charge.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• Blackcherry04Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭
    mike95490 wrote: »
    I hunted on ebay for a couple months to find a transformer to upconvert 120V from a small inverter generator, to 240v so I could charge.
    What size did you finally settle on ?? I saw where Cris Olsen couldn't get a Outback FW-X240 ( 4 kw ?? ) to magnetize on a Honda EU2000.
  • mike95490mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭✭
    What size did you finally settle on ?? I saw where Cris Olsen couldn't get a Outback FW-X240 ( 4 kw ?? ) to magnetize on a Honda EU2000.
    It's a 3 or 4 KVA, 480V step down/up transformer. Weighs about 90#, and came with free shipping !! I'm using it for a 2Kw inverter genset (honeywell) and it works fine. Look for a while, and every now and then, the largest tear out vendors have something small with reasonable shipping rates.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• jpindjpind Registered Users Posts: 2
    Hi. New here. I'm off grid, and trying to figure out the setup for my standby / backup genny support. The main issue I'm having logistically (also because I'm fairly new at this) is the AGS / UPS system. I currently run a 48v battery bank (8 x Trojan T105s), a 3000W inverter (basic, not an Outback or similar), and a Midnite Solar classic 200. Do I have to purchase a completely new inverter with AGS capability, or is there a way to add a module to the system (magnum?) that would sense low battery level and trip a two wire remote generator start through a transfer switch? Then, is there a way to feed this AC power back in through my midnight solar 200 to charge my batteries, since it's capable of handling high voltages?
    Seems like this should work in theory, but I haven't found anyone who's done it, and most of the support teams for the above mentioned items are fairly useless. They just want to sell the $3000 package... Any thoughts or advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks!  
  • jpindjpind Registered Users Posts: 2
    Sorry, I just realized as I posted this that the MS charge controller obviously only handles DC, so feeding an AC current into it isn't a go. Any thoughts or suggestions, or do I have to bite the bullet and spend another 2K on a new inverter / charger like an outback with a MATE? Thanks!
  • Blackcherry04Blackcherry04 Solar Expert Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭
    A integrated system is easier to work with because of the variables you can program into it.  You didn't say if you have a Inverter / Charger or just a plain Inverter. You could use a VCS ( voltage controlled switch ) It's a relay that you could set a low volt level and a high volt level and control the start and shut down on a generator with a stand alone charger. A charger and the PV controller can both be on the batteries at the same time.

Here is one from the sponsor, you can find them with google also.

http://www.solar-electric.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=VCS-1AL&cat=0

15678911»