Meanwell Modified Sine Wave DC-AC Inverter with MPPT Solar Charger

Options
Rybren
Rybren Solar Expert Posts: 351 ✭✭
As I was aimlessly surfing the net, trying to curb my urge to smoke, I came across this Meanwell Modified Sine Wave DC-AC Inverter with MPPT Solar Charger

As I was looking at the specs and drawings, I see Battery and Solar Inputs, and AC outputs, but I don't see anything for DC outputs to charge the batteries. I guess that the battery is charged through the input terminal, although I saw no reference to it in the manual. The CC portion of the device seems rather hokey, with no adjustable settings and questionable charge parameters.

An all-in-one Inverter/CC is an interesting concept, but this one seems to fail miserably.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Meanwell Modified Sine Wave DC-AC Inverter with MPPT Solar Charger

There really isn't any reason an all-in-one unit like this needs separate DC lines for inverter and charger.

I've discussed with various people several systems that utilize similar units from other companies. They all seem to fall a bit short in the charging department just as you say and are somewhat limited in their adaptability. And yet you can see the appeal for certain applications.
  • oversolar
    oversolar Registered Users Posts: 1
    Options
    Rybren wrote: »
    As I was aimlessly surfing the net, trying to curb my urge to smoke, I came across this Meanwell Modified Sine Wave DC-AC Inverter with MPPT Solar Charger

As I was looking at the specs and drawings, I see Battery and Solar Inputs, and AC outputs, but I don't see anything for DC outputs to charge the batteries. I guess that the battery is charged through the input terminal, although I saw no reference to it in the manual. The CC portion of the device seems rather hokey, with no adjustable settings and questionable charge parameters.

An all-in-one Inverter/CC is an interesting concept, but this one seems to fail miserably.

Hi im a newb here, your link didn't open for me if its the ISI low power range with up to 160V pv in and 500W output, yes the battery should getting topped up from the pv, the battery voltages monitored and shuts off ac out till battery top up overshoots to setting.
    The TN range has lots of user settings etc, 75V peak solar input and like kW range out battery charging is taken from inputs available dependent on the level of dc input i think.
    Either way mind boggles, why make a low power inverter with a high voltage pv input and a higher power inverter with a low voltage pv input
  • Rybren
    Rybren Solar Expert Posts: 351 ✭✭
    Options

I found the TN-1500-124 Pure Sine Wave Inverter/Charge Controller. It looks fairly limited to me. Max solar Voc input is 45V with 30A output to the batteries (for a 24V system). The AC Charger only puts out 2.7A at 28.5V.

From reading through some of the documentation, it looks like the user is fairly limited to adjusting the various setpoints - I only saw Equalize and Float adjustment settings.

At ~ $600 for an all in one CC, Inverter, and AC charger, it might work for some people, but unless I'm missing something, it won't work for me.
  • SolarPowered
    SolarPowered Solar Expert Posts: 626 ✭✭✭
    Options

There is nothing wrong with the meanwell. Its not like top of the line like a Magnum or Outback that you would use for an off grid heavy load home application with 150 to 200watt panels, but for overall portability for use camping/RV/or emergency back up the specs seem well suited for that demand for minimal small load demand applications, using panels that are more 20 to 30watt in parrallel up to 30 amps.

30AMP charge controller for a 12V 1500 watt MEAN WELL is just right if you had an RV set with a bank of 3 or 4 100 or 125 ah batteries. If its just portable for camping lets say 125ah 1 battery for a 5~7 amp charge it works just within that range. Its not an inverter that I would use to suffice for much larger loads like 1500~2000watt microwave ovens, and i wouldn't be looking to plug 1000 watts of panels into that type of 30 amp controller either. Its designed for smaller on the go applications reviewing the specs, its not really a heavy in demand type of inverter.
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I looked at that unit as an inverter with an almost non functioning PV charger (ie not very useful) it is priced a bit lower than the Samlex Inverter of equivalent power output, as a matter of fact they have the same model number (same factory of origin?) so buy it if you want an additional feature that is not very beneficial to a bank that needs lots of recharge capability...

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada