choices in grid tie packages - which one?

stevehull
stevehull Registered Users Posts: 20
Very confusing on what packages to look at in terms of buying a 10 kW GT system for a self install roof mount. Looking at the major players, can the group give me a head's up on benefits/drawbacks (including NAWS).

I am seeing prices, including mounting rails, ~40 panels, connections, inverter(s) even wire for $16-25K.

Is it too bold to ask for specifics on what is a value and what sellers/retailers are simply not good? I have long learned the lesson on the temptation of the lowest bid . . . . , so post sale value remains important.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: choices in grid tie packages - which one?

NAWS would be very happy to give you a quote on a package system from them... But you will have to contact them directly--They do not monitor the forum for business related questions.

Regarding costing, you can certainly go to NAWS (and others) website to rough out the cost of the panels, inverter, and support equipment/racks.

A good place to start with the $/Watt pricing of the system... In the olden days, it was $8-$10 per watt (5-8 years ago)--Today, we have reports of $5 per Watt or less (before tax credits).

Getting a list of the major hardware (inverter, panels) and a few customers you can call and ask about their experience are some other good ideas (check with your roofer too--Many have experience fixing solar array installs once they start leaking).

And, in the end, use PV Watts and your knowledge of local weather/shading/etc. (we are near the winter solstice--A perfect time to study how sun angles vs shading will affect your proposed array). If the predictions sound too good to be true--They probably are and a reason to avoid a particular installer.

There is so much churn out there because of the current business climate--It is really difficult to guess who would be out there 5-10 years from now. Getting good hardware and a good install are going to help reduce your headaches in the future.

And look at leasing--Those costs are very low right now (government tax policies) that allow installers to offer very low up front (and frequently over the life of the system) costs.

I am not a fan of leases (lots of fine print, and I would rather own than "rent")--But it is difficult to ignore.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • stevehull

Bill,

Thanks for info. No leasing, that I know of, in my area (central Oklahoma) and I have already used PVwatts to get to a 10 kW size. This provides me the most power without loosing any to the electric coop after the holdover (30 day).

Lots of GT 10 kW systems on eBay (new) and some of these are at about $1.70 per watt (self installed). The install is not a problem as I have a large livestock barn roof facing almost due south - a leak or two will NOT be any problem.

Any more specific vendors.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

I don't know... The vendors I picked have turned out to have less than perfect histories of reliability. But they did stand by their warranties (so far).

My suggestion is to get the brand/model number of the GT inverter(s) and panels--And ask about them specifically on the board (and searching around the web).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    stevehull wrote: »
    Bill,

Thanks for info. No leasing, that I know of, in my area (central Oklahoma) and I have already used PVwatts to get to a 10 kW size. This provides me the most power without loosing any to the electric coop after the holdover (30 day).

Lots of GT 10 kW systems on eBay (new) and some of these are at about $1.70 per watt (self installed). The install is not a problem as I have a large livestock barn roof facing almost due south - a leak or two will NOT be any problem.

Make very sure that the components you will be getting are UL-listed (not UL compliant or UL approved). Otherwise you could have problems with your building inspector (if you have one) and with getting approval from the coop.

Even with you doing all of the labor, you may need a licensed electrician to pull the permits and a registered professional engineer to stamp the plans. Then make sure that you have a licensed electrician inspect everything before you call for the coop connection to be made.

There is a lot you can save money on (including the roof work) by doing it yourself, but there may be some things you will not be allowed to do. As long as you check that out first, you will be making the decision fully informed.

If you are looking to collect any rebates or subsidies on the purchase of the equipment, there may be even more tedious requirements to qualify for that.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • stevehull
    inetdog wrote: »
    Make very sure that the components you will be getting are UL-listed (not UL compliant or UL approved). Otherwise you could have problems with your building inspector (if you have one) and with getting approval from the coop.

Even with you doing all of the labor, you may need a licensed electrician to pull the permits and a registered professional engineer to stamp the plans. Then make sure that you have a licensed electrician inspect everything before you call for the coop connection to be made.

There is a lot you can save money on (including the roof work) by doing it yourself, but there may be some things you will not be allowed to do. As long as you check that out first, you will be making the decision fully informed.

If you are looking to collect any rebates or subsidies on the purchase of the equipment, there may be even more tedious requirements to qualify for that.

EXCELLENT point on UL-listed. In case of fire, homeowner's policies often have exclusions if no UL-listing. Ran into this with a fence charger and to them my electric fence was just a huge lightening collector with a gateway into the house via the 100 plug. So that went on solar vs a plug in 110.

The local electrical coop will need to inspect. I have no other permits to get (nice and also scary at the same time). Will have an electrician do a final inspection, have it ready for plug in (actually circuit breaker throw) so the coop can inspect. Sadly, no state rebates - only the federal tax credit.