vibeline Registered Users Posts: 24 ✭✭
current loads collectively equal just under 3kw
my system so far.

6, 235 watt schott panels.
midnite combiner MNPV6
midnite mini panel
midnite classic 150
xantrex 4024 inverter
carrier 8 circuit auto transfer switch (currently hooked to my 6.5K onan generator) I would like to use this for my distribution panel..
4 interstate 6V 195 AH (very sick 5 year old batteries...... 24 volts)

My question is?
which battery(s) to buy?
I went to buy a rebuilt forklift battery, 24v 510ah 2 year warranty $1350 (yes I have means to move it around)
When I got there they had a pallet of New Exide 8d 12v 252ah 1 year warranty $150ea. 4 of those is only $600. hmmmmmmmmmm.

When I left the house I knew exactly what I was going to buy then, the frugal me saw the 8D batteries.
Give me some advice folks..

P.S. I am going to add 6 more panels in spring. New well pump (not yet installed) will push collective loads to 5kw
Thanks for the great info folks.
Cheers,
Jim

TY NAWS

Comments

• Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Last piece of the puzzle
    vibeline wrote: »
    I went to buy a rebuilt forklift battery, 24v 510ah 2 year warranty $1350

For the record, my guess is your looking at a "12-85-13" Which is 510Ah at 6 hour rate, but about 800 Ah at a 20 hour rate... What did they tell you about the rebuild? just matching cells, or a used battery equalized, I'm always curious, if they warranty it for 2 years it's likely done right, or they have a steady supply.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • vibeline
    vibeline Registered Users Posts: 24 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Last piece of the puzzle

The Guy told me they swap cells between batteries to make sure they are all within a certain range (what ever that means I don't know much about batteries)
    and then test the battery under heavy load for 5 hrs.
    I didn't have much time to talk the place was busy and they were about to close.
    thanks for the input.
    Photowhit wrote: »
    For the record, my guess is your looking at a "12-85-13" Which is 510Ah at 6 hour rate, but about 800 Ah at a 20 hour rate... What did they tell you about the rebuild? just matching cells, or a used battery equalized, I'm always curious, if they warranty it for 2 years it's likely done right, or they have a steady supply.