VIDEO: A Solar Thanksgiving for Battered Rockaways

Shadowcatcher
Shadowcatcher Solar Expert Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iaMPr2tsYGg

Since Hurricane Sandy, the historic Belle Harbor Yacht Club in the Rockaways—one of New York City's hardest-hit neighborhoods—has become an indispensable hub for supplies, volunteers, and a much-needed round of drinks. Three weeks after the storm, the oft-maligned Long Island Power Authority still hasn't re-connected this building, not to mention its neighbors, back to the grid, leaving locals to face the prospect of a cold, dark Thanksgiving.

But outside, the sun is shining, and a trio of local solar power companies have seen an opportunity to bridge the gap left open by the electric utility. The yacht club, among several area buildings, is now plugged into a portable solar power generator, which frees volunteers from the endless gas lines that plague those dependent on traditional generators and leaves them ready to dish out hot plates of turkey and stuffing to the beleaguered community.

From Mother Jones

Comments

• niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: VIDEO: A Solar Thanksgiving for Battered Rockaways

nice they are doing this. i love that trailer, but i would hardly think those 10 pvs is a 10kw array. maybe 2kw-2.5kw meaning there better be 3 or 4 more of those trailers to make it 10kw.
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

I was down at DC Solar Solutions, the company that makes these trailers in California this summer.
    That was the small one that uses only one Sunny Island inverter. These guys lease out these
    trailers for use at cell phone sites etc and run two (2) or more arc welders at once !
    Notice the MidNite Solar Disco box to the left of the SMA inverter. There may or may not be
    a Classic in there too. They did use a bunch of them and also OB FM80s.

http://www.dcsolarsolutionsmfg.com/Mobile-Solar-Solutions.aspx

boB
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

thanks for the link boB as i think i'm going to inquire further on how they mounted them and keep them locked on the correct angle.