Midnite breaker mounting

Options
H2SO4_guy
H2SO4_guy Solar Expert Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
Any suggestions on mounting at least 3 of the large format Midnite 175 and 250 amp breakers? http://www.solar-electric.com/mnedc250.html Also using at least 3 of the medium format 125 amp breakers. http://www.solar-electric.com/mnedc125.html The DIN mounted stuff is a snap and no problem. I thought of using a blank electrical box and cutting out the correct size rectangle opening and drilling out the holes for the mounting the screws to secure the breakers like they are designed. Since I don’t have a monster battery bank, I am breaking the system into 4 separate systems which will give some backup and the ability to juggle if necessary. There are always good ideas around here and I appreciate all of the help.

There is a local battery company who is selling used 8D flooded batteries (225 AH @ 20 hr rate) for $60 and I can go through them to pick out the ones that I want. They will scrap for $37.44 so it isn’t too much of a risk. I have one 48 volt string of them now and they work just fine.

Finally making power on sunny days, it sure feels good. I always state to NAWS that I am purchasing from them because of the forum and I vote with my wallet! They have been a very good supplier to deal with.
12K asst panels charging through Midnite Classic 150's, powering Exeltechs and Outback VFX-3648 inverter at 12 and 48 volts.  2080 AH @ 48 VDC of Panasonic Stationary batteries (2 strings of 1040 AH each) purchased for slightly over scrap, installed August 2013.  Outback PSX-240X for 220 volt duties.  No genny usage since 2014. 

Comments

• Eric L
    Eric L Solar Expert Posts: 262 ✭✭
    Options
    Re: Midnite breaker mounting

Can't help with the large ones, but I used the MNDEC Quad for the medium format breakers.

http://www.solar-electric.com/mnedc-quad.html
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

8d is usually around 250ah. what brand are they and did you try a load test?

the breakers are pretty big. if you have room for them in a box you could modify the opening for it. maybe halfcrazy or boB have some ideas for you.
  • H2SO4_guy
    H2SO4_guy Solar Expert Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    Options

I can bring in my Horrible Freight load tester and put about a 50 amp load on them until the coils get too hot to use again until cool-down. The real gem may be the 'Stationary Batteries' they get sometimes and more are due any day now. They recall them being C & D in a clear jar, but I'll let everyone know. the string of 8D batteries I am currently using came from a data center that was replacing the starting batteries for the diesel generators. They use 9 generators with 2 8D batteries each to start them. When they don't work as well as they should, they are scrapped and I have been getting them for $40 each, but it is not very often that they get those. So far from the data center I have gotten 6 of the Exide flooded 8D batteries and 4 are quite serviceable and are being used as I type this. I sure don't mind paying $40 each when I can scrap them for $37. In less than 2 years they are going to change out their stationary batteries which are 4 volt C & D that weigh 435 pounds per unit. Now that would be a pack worth getting! They use them for UPS and have about 190 volts or so in series. I think they are about 1100 AH @ the 8 hour IIRC.
    12K asst panels charging through Midnite Classic 150's, powering Exeltechs and Outback VFX-3648 inverter at 12 and 48 volts.  2080 AH @ 48 VDC of Panasonic Stationary batteries (2 strings of 1040 AH each) purchased for slightly over scrap, installed August 2013.  Outback PSX-240X for 220 volt duties.  No genny usage since 2014. 
  • westbranch
    westbranch Solar Expert Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

here is a link to C&D's battery types http://www.cdtechno.com/product/vrla/vrla.html you might be able to suss those out from the list.

KID #51B  4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM
    CL#29032 FW 2126/ 2073/ 2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3 x 4s 140W to 24V 900Ah C&D AGM 
    Cotek ST1500W 24V Inverter,OmniCharge 3024,
    2 x Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr & Bridge,
    Eu3/2/1000i Gens, 1680W & E-Panel/WBjr to come, CL #647 asleep
    West Chilcotin, BC, Canada