Have 500$ to spend on an inverter, what to buy?

Everlong
Everlong Solar Expert Posts: 36 ✭✭
As the topics states i would like to purchase an inverter, it has to be pure sine wave plus i would it to have a display, prefferably lcd. Chinese/ebay units are out of the question, what to get?

Comments

• Everlong
    Re: Have 500$ to spend on an inverter, what to buy?

Forgot to mention, 24v :)
  • waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

Hi "Everlong", welcome to the form.
    A few questions before any recommendations:
    What loads do you expect to run with the inverter?
    What do you have for a battery pack?
    What do you have to keep your batteries charged?
    Do you expect to have the inverter running 24/7, or just when a load needs to be powered?
  • Vic
    Vic Solar Expert Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Everlong,

We are starting in the middle of things ... you did not state the power level, and peak power demands ... like starting a motor for example, but look at these:
    http://www.solar-electric.com/exsiwain.html

More later, Vic
    Off Grid - Two systems -- 4 SW+ 5548 Inverters, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH X2@48V, 11.1 KW STC PV, 4X MidNite Classic 150 w/ WBjrs, Beta KID on S-530s, MX-60s, MN Bkrs/Boxes.  25 KVA Polyphase Kubota diesel,  Honda Eu6500isa,  Eu3000is-es, Eu2000,  Eu1000 gensets.  Thanks Wind-Sun for this great Forum.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin

There are inverters with power saving options (such as the inverter turns off, and pulses the AC line once a second looking for a >6 watt load, then turns on). Some have remote on/off switches (just a 12 volt signal line).

Others have, very nice, integrated AC to DC charge controllers (programmable) + Transfer switches. And units that have split phase 120/240 VAC output too (no transformers needed).

Obviously, these will cost much more than $500.

As stated above, really like to know more about your loads and your needs.

There are some very inexpensive TSW inverter out there these days... You can buy 4-8 EBay units for the price of one higher end TSW inverter.

In some cases, people will buy a "small" TSW inverter to run their computers, radios, electronics, cell phone chargers, etc... And a larger MSW inverter to run power tools, well pump, etc.

TSW is a much nicer inverter--But sometimes the reality of co$t rears its ugly head. :cry:

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

One example of what sort of 24 Volt true sine inverter you might get for $500: http://www.solar-electric.com/sa15wa12vosi1.html

As long as you don't expect it to have all the bells and whistles ... like an LCD display, built-in charger, great surge capability ...
  • Everlong

Cariboocoot: this is exactly what i was looking at! You see, i went against your recommendation and purchased that Aims 2.5k inverter, regret it somewhat, i can't run and dimmers or electronic timers. Should have spent that money on a pure sine inverter from the start.

What do you think about that Samlex?

To the rest of the guys: i will be running led lights:) , around 150w of it, with a timer :) for about 9 hrs.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

The small Samlex units are perfectly good for low power loads (no start-up demands). Some might recommend the Morningstar 300, but it is 12 Volt only. The power-save modes available on some small inverters like the MS may not be triggered by your LED's, so you may have to use an always-on inverter and remember to add its consumption into the load demand.

150 Watts for 9 hours is 1350 Watt hours. Quite a lot, really. Plus timer. Plus inverter (about 20 Watts DC on that one). You wouldn't need 1500 Watts of inverter for just that either. They have some others that are lower power and less money: http://www.solar-electric.com/stalun.html

Just be sure you won't be wanting to upgrade again or you'll be buying yet another inverter. :p
  • photovoltaic
    photovoltaic Solar Expert Posts: 37 ✭✭

Samlex makes high quality pure sine wave inverters - I have a 600 watt and a bigger 1500 watt - both have always worked flawlessly .
  • n1776
    n1776 Registered Users Posts: 6

Get a cobra one. They make good inverters.
  • Everlong
    n1776 wrote: »
    Get a cobra one. They make good inverters.

Read post number 2.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

Exeltech makes high quality inverters, and makes them here in the USA. They use to have a 'any problem fixxed for $100' deal, I don't know if they still do that.

They are a bit more pricey @$600 for 1100watt and $520 for a 600watt They even make a 250watt for @$390. If you look around you'll find the $600 for the 1100 watt is a real bargain!

The 600 and 1100watt units (and maybe the 250watt unit, I'm not sure) can all be hard wired and meet code something the other units can't, they come with a piece in the back to run all your battery cables in conduit and the bond between nuetral and ground is designed to be removed. To be honest I never followed up to see if they have UL rating for homes or just mobile.

They are a quiet company with a good reputation.
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • n1776
    n1776 Registered Users Posts: 6
    Everlong wrote: »
    Read post number 2.

Oh, sorry. I'm new here.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin

Not a problem. I have made more than my share of mis-reads.

Welcome to the forum.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset