Auto transfer switch programmable?

GreenPowerManiac
GreenPowerManiac Solar Expert Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
Looking into a generac auto transfer switch load center , yet is there anything out there that you can program yourself?
Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
WWW.GreenAnything.Net    Ad free website.
Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  

Comments

• stephendv
    stephendv Solar Expert Posts: 1,571 ✭✭
    Re: Auto transfer switch programmable?

You could try this: http://www.deepseaplc.com/products/dse-ats/current-controllers/dse335/
    Not used it, but I did install one of their generator control panels and it is superb. Lots of features, programmable over USB and nice and cheap :)
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    stephendv wrote: »
    You could try this: http://www.deepseaplc.com/products/dse-ats/current-controllers/dse335/
    Not used it, but I did install one of their generator control panels and it is superb. Lots of features, programmable over USB and nice and cheap :)

It looks like it has UL Recognized Component mark (backwards UR), which is better than nothing, but strictly speaking only allows it to be used in factory-built systems which will be separately listed.
    The features look great, but you might have problems if an AHJ looks closely at it.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • GreenPowerManiac

How much is it and do I have to buy an auto transfer load center?
    Nature's Design & Green Energy on FaceBook : Stop by and "Like" us anytime.. Many up-to-date articles about Renewables every day.
    Lots of DIY Renewable Energy Projects on ETSY : Solar Panel builds, Wind Turbine builds, Rain Barrel build,etc.  
  • GreenPowerManiac

Let me answer my own question. $525.00 for that controller with PLC. Others are not able to complete my tasks. Found another equivalent.
  • GreenPowerManiac

With all the BS these engineers are giving to make $$ off of me, decided to put a few components together. A programmable thermostat, battery monitor with voltage control and a time delayed relay (which should give the inverter time to switch on before transfer, am thinking it's worth a shot. Any ideas on a battery monitor with voltage control?
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin

Generally, you do not need a time delay to start the Inverter--However, you can find simple AC transfer relays that have a 15+ second delay for generators to warm up a bit and stabilize before they get loaded.

What do you want to accomplish with a battery monitor + Voltage control? There are a couple battery monitors with programmable outputs (turn on the alarm at 50% and turn off at 80%--if you want to use as a signal to start a generator--for example (a Xantrex model, and Victron model are two that I am aware of)....

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • GreenPowerManiac

Going to dump that idea cause the thermostat may not work correctly. New idea: Have a computer control the ATS with software ?? Question is, is there software that is easy to configure out there and where can I get it ?

Oh, and don't think my inverter gives off any signal. Just on/off by the relay I have set up from inside the house.