MX-60 and freezer

Options
Just some food for thought on running your off grid freezer.
Seems I'm always trying out ideas, and sometimes I hit a good one. This, for me is a great one.
On the MX-60, I selected the Aux mode to be on when in Float mode. Set Re-Bulk to kick in when battery voltage drops one volt below Float voltage. The Aux output is wired to a relay that bypasses the thermostatic control on the freezer. Now, all night the freezer runs in normal mode, as it does until the batteries are fully charged the next day and the MX-60 kicks into Float mode. At this point the freezer starts and runs non stop the rest of the sunny day, really cooling it down. As the sun starts to go down, the Battery voltage drops a volt, the MX comes out of float mode and the freezer reverts back to normal, but because it's been super cooled during the day, runs less than it usually would during the night. And all without me having to be running after and tending to it, worrying that I may forget to look after it.
I love it! Too bad the MX-60 didn't have a second Aux output, I'd use that one for Low Batt Disconnect. Oh well, I'm happy with this settup, I just walk away and it does it's thing all by itself. :)
Cheers
Wayne

Comments

• Ralph Day
    Ralph Day Solar Expert Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: MX-60 and freezer

Nice use of resources Wayne.

The only time i tried the Float 00amps aux mode on the MX, when the dark arrived and there was 0.0 amps output the mode awakened my 1500watt heater (like when on Float). I never could figure out why so just used other modes of aux function. I found Diversion the most useful, and put a switch between the MX and the relay...now able to just flick a switch instead of going through the MX soft keys every time.

Ralp;h
  • Brock
    Brock Solar Expert Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Very cool idea. I had been manually turning the freezer way down once I saw I was in float. Much neater and automatic way of doing this.
    3kw solar PV, 4 LiFePO4 100a, xw 6048, Honda eu2000i, iota DLS-54-13, Tesla 3, Leaf, Volt, 4 ton horizontal geothermal, grid tied - Green Bay, WI
  • lamplight
    lamplight Solar Expert Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

wow!! way cool. i have to spend some time learning about that aux setup. like alot of people i run big loads once in float to take the load off my grid power usage but its all manual unplugging and plugging stuff... great work
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin
    Options

Thanks a lot guys, it makes my day that this idea will be a help to others.
    Cheers
    Wayne
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Wayne,

:cool:

Jim / crewzer
  • System2
    Options

How cold does the freezer get with thermo off?
  • System2
    Options
    SKYWLKR wrote: »
    How cold does the freezer get with thermo off?
    Hits float around moon, or shortly after on sunny days and by 6:30 PM, the freezer temp has dropped by 8 or 10 degrees F.
    That said, the freezer is about 3/4 full, so takes a long time to drop. If there wasn't much in it, there wouldn't be much to cool, so the temp would drop faster and further during the same time period. Likewise, a more full freezer takes longer to warm up at night.
    Wayne