Eco-Worthy 20a MPPT charge controller review.

jimindenver
jimindenver Solar Expert Posts: 59 ✭✭
I recently bought the Eco-worthy 20a MPPT charge controller and have done some simple test with my 230w Schott panel. I am pretty ignorant about solar and such so will do my best to pass on what I have observed. You may remember me asking about two panels I got off of CL super cheap. The recommendation was the Rogue, unfortunately I haven't been able to afford it. This controller can handle one of my panels and keep our RV charged up day to day. At most we use 40-50 AH a day when we need the furnace. We used a generator this year and honestly I prefer not too if I can get away with it.

This is the site which I got from the other thread here on this controller.

http://www.eco-worthy.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=69&products_id=182

This is a video I found trying to research it. In it he opens it up and runs some simple test on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Okm50rgAWg&feature=plcp

There is also another controller sold named Blixt that looks the same but has slightly different numbers.

I can open mine up and take detail pictures but will admit I haven't a clue of what I'm looking at. Let me know.

My simple test was to hook up my 230w panel in the yard. Using a old battery first to make sure it didn't get fried, I was able to raise and lower the voltage with a inverter and a few bulbs. This allowed me to change the controller between float, absorb and bulk modes and see what the output was for different sky conditions including partial and total shade, partly cloudy to totally overcast and yes full sun with adjusting the panel to the sun.
I was also able to use the MPPT demo function to see what the calculated comparison PWM amps would be. A more accurate comparison to me was when it switched from bulk mode (MPPT) to absorb (PWM)

The test that mattered the most for me to see if it might be acceptable was charging the trailers grp 27 95 ah battery. Last night I used a small 12v fridge to take the battery down to 12.3v by this morning. I connected it to the panel as soon as I got full sun that I could track around 8am. The controller read the bulk at 10a + and as the sun rose the amps climbed to 13a+. Between 10 and 11 am I saw 14.7 amps and the MPPT demo said 9 amps PWM. I have seen 7a range in absorb which is what the panel is rated for.
The next time I went to adjust the panel, the controller had dropped to float so I didn't get to see what the high noon output was. I didn't want to mess with loads because the basic test was to charge the battery today, I'll do more this weekend.

The web site shows the ratings and such better but the basic numbers are 20a, 300w 12v/ 600w 24v. acceptable VOC between 15 and 42v. I can change the voltage settings in float and absorb mode and a lot of load settings I haven't really looked at. Other than that it isn't tricked out like the Rogue. You can't hook up a data port, run equalization monthly and the temp sensor is in the case. The temp sensor does function. The controller was hanging on the fence when the sky cleared the first time. The amps jumped to over 12v for a bit and then fell to under 6a in bulk/MPPT mode. The sun had gotten the case really hot to the touch and as soon as I even shaded it with my hand the amps started to climb again.
The manual is a single sheet printed on both side that pretty much mimic what is on the site or ebay listings. It explains basic set up and not much else.

My hope is that the Eco-worthy 20a controller will keep doing what it did today, simply keeping our trailers battery charged for up to 2 weeks while we dry camp. At some point I will add at least one more battery as well as mount both panels if our needs change and one will not do the job. I don't know if this controller can run in parallel with a second panel/ controller set up so I may get the Rogue yet.
I hope you don't hold it against the controller for my inability to write a review. It seems to do as advertised and is a cheap simple solution for us. (better than running the generator anyways :) )

Jim

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    Re: Eco-Worthy 20a MPPT charge controller review.

Interesting, looks like it maybe a real mppt charge controller.

I did not see any specs on the website.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • jimindenver

Bill
    I forgot about that, I got the specs off of a ebay listing like this. They all have the same listing including this seller. Why the specs are not on the site is beyond me.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/20A-MPPT-solar-charge-controller-solar-regulator-15-30-more-power-12V-24V-/261114654699?pt=Battery_Chargers&hash=item3ccba56feb

I mentioned above the Blixt model, here is it's manual. A bit better than mine. (notice some specs are different for this one, lower voltage for one)

http://www.aurinco.com/Blixt%20manual.pdf
  • icarus
    icarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭

Just. a word to the wise,, beware bargain controllers on expensive batteries. Anybody seen BZ stuff lately?

Tony
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

caution yes, but not too hasty of a judgement as i did for rogue many moons ago.:cry:
  • icarus

Like I said, beware,,

Tony
  • jimindenver

Tony

I understand and anything untested can be worrisome. That's why I started my testing with older batteries and not the trailers battery. (although it is nothing special) I'll also have until spring to run test and try its durability before we need to depend on it up in the hills. I'd love to have a better controller, a bigger set of matching panels and while we are at it a class A motor home too. Unfortunately I'm self employed and had I not found the panels for $50 each I wouldn't have bought them. I wouldn't be using them without the cheap controller either so I really hope it works out.
  • BB.

From Jim's EBay link:

Max Voc 15-42 VDC

So, that was what I was most curious about.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • Shadowcatcher
    Shadowcatcher Solar Expert Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

I hope this goes a good bit deeper. I encountered some one on RVnet that bought one to use with an RV and my immediate reaction is, If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is! Some good quality pictures and may help.
    That thread on the RV net is http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26464298.cfm and might give some clues.
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭
    BB. wrote: »
    From Jim's EBay link:

Max Voc 15-42 VDC

So, that was what I was most curious about.

-Bill

I wondered what the max Voc was... I looked for it but didn't see that.

42 volts is too low for a 24 volt battery. Gotta be at least 50+ volts or so
    these days.

boB
  • icarus

My worry (among others) is that if you can't provide proper specs on your primary sales site, I would be worried. Additionally, selling two different brands of essentially the same hardware is also suspect IMHO.

Tony

From the linked manual.

• •

• •

"Solar electric systems produce electric currents that can give rise to minor shocks. While such shocks in general do not expose a danger to human or animals, they can be uncomfortable."

Interesting turn of phrase?
  • boB
    boB Solar Expert Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

Demo mode ?? Is that kind of like what a video game does ?

Can I get power from demo mode PV modules ?

boB
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭

demo mode? wouldn't that be where the controller pretends to work?:confused:
  • jimindenver

I see you all are having fun. :p

Everything you say about the site, manual, seller etc is true. Luckily for me I can connect a 50% drained battery and panel to it and end up with a charged battery by evening. (so far)

I am the author of both post. I post on RV.net regularly and here I had found the other thread on it which without hands on experience the unit was dismissed, so I'm just saying it seems to function as intended.

The demo mode is a advertizing gimmick at best in my eyes. As mentioned it is a calculation and not like it takes the MPPT function off line for a instant to see what the PWM is. In the video posted it shows it to be accurate but in practice it was showing a calculated PWM of 9.1a off a panel with a Imp of 7.66a. So I take it with a grain of salt and realize that I'll rarely look at the display while camping.

This weekend I will try my Canadiansolar 220w panel with it. Even if I sent it back I get a chance to see that my el cheapo panels are working. I was able to test the Isc last year but there is a difference between working on a meter and working as in here is my charged battery. I don't know what test I can do but it will require a better meter than I have to measure 14a. Mine was limited to 10a before the dogs got to it.
    I can take pictures. I figured the video and site showed pretty much what I could shot and I'd just be adding bandwidth but I can do what they don't, which is detailed close ups of the insides. So what is it that you want to see?
  • jimindenver

It's not uncommon for one unit to be sold under more than one brand. There is also the possibility that the Blixt is the original and being copied by the Chinese, I really don't know.
    icarus wrote: »
    My worry (among others) is that if you can't provide proper specs on your primary sales site, I would be worried. Additionally, selling two different brands of essentially the same hardware is also suspect IMHO.

Tony

From the linked manual.

• •

• •

"Solar electric systems produce electric currents that can give rise to minor shocks. While such shocks in general do not expose a danger to human or animals, they can be uncomfortable."

Interesting turn of phrase?
  • Shadowcatcher
    Shadowcatcher Solar Expert Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

A close up of the guts may well tell those more competent than I to give some idea of what is really happening.
  • jimindenver

Hi all. I wanted to give a update to the Eco-Worthy controller. It's been a year since I got it and have been able to put it into use while we camp at 9-10.000 ft. I never did take it apart for pictures.

The controller has been doing it's job without a issue all summer. I paired it with my 230w poly panel and haven't needed the generator all year. We have had some full sun days, a few no sun days but mostly early sun and afternoon clouds. Once the battery hits float early on the system picks up the trailers loads such as lights, fans and furnace. I turned it all on one day and the battery stayed in float while the controller went to over 11a PWM. To do a noon time test I lowered the battery to 13.4v and connected a 12v 200w auto drip coffee maker. The controller went to bulk for over 16a and 212w while the battery stayed at 13.4v. The coffee pot ran faster than ever even though the cord got hot.

The one thing that I have noticed is the absorb mode doesn't stay on long at all. I can push the float voltage up to absorb range but I can't tell it to stay in absorb for x amount of time. It hasn't been a issue since we are charged at nightfall and really I don't understand enough to be messing with such things.

So all in all I'm happy with it, enough so that I'm getting a second to run on our inverter bank with the 220w mono panel. A few on the RV forum have also bought it and I'm seeing more you tube videos of it but I haven't found and bad reviews so far.
  • BB.

Nice to hear that it is meeting your needs and has been reliable. With the short (fixed?) absorb times, just keep an eye on your batteries to ensure they are getting fully charged.

-Bill
  • jimindenver

TY BB
    It seems to be doing a better job of it than running the generator for two hours a day pushing a single stage 13.6v converter did. I've been using a single 95ah grp 27 battery because that's what I used with the generator and can compare results.

Last year I would put a fully charged battery on the trailer, start the fridge for a day, camp the next day/ night and the voltage would be 12.5v the next morning. I would run the generator for 2 hours and the next morning the voltage would be 12.4v as it was every day there after. we were conservative with the power, only a few LED lights, 65* at night and a few warm ups during the day. (gets cool at 10.000 ft)
    Now I get the same drop the first day but now with the solar my morning voltage is 12,57v unless the day before was very cloudy. We no longer conserve running the furnace at a comfy 74* and lighting up the trailer end to end at night.

I contribute the lower drop in voltage to two things. First the battery is at a higher SOC at nightfall and second the system is picking up the loads during the day instead of draining the battery once the generator is off.

Float and absorb voltages are adjustable. Float from 12.5-14.5v, absorb 13.0-15.5v. Once a week or so I push the float up above 14v for a few hours, not sure if it's good or bad.
  • BB.

It sounds like you are doing OK. Sealed/AGM batteries should be fine at ~14.2 to 14.4 volts... Flooded Cell can easily take 14.5-14.75 volts during absorb.

-Bill
  • jimindenver

Thank you.

So for flooded, how long/often do you suggest I hold 14.5v?
  • BB.

If you are cycling the batteries, you should probably hold absorb for ~2-6 hours... Light cycling, closer to two hours. Heavy cycling (and short winter days) 5-6 hours (or as long as there is enough light).

In reality, the standards are not to go below 50% state of charge very often, and avoid going to or below 20% state of charge ever (batteries can be damaged).

Charging, as long as you get >~90% state of charge several times a week--You are fine.

There is another way to "operate" your deep cycle batteries.... Basically cycle them between ~80% and 50% state of charge daily, and fully charge ~5-14 days (say once a weekend). As long as you are cycling the batteries daily, they should not sulfate. And bringing them back to full charge every 5~-14 days (one vendor says every 30 days), with good quality deep cycle batteries, they should be quite happy.

This second method is more efficient (battery charging is quite inefficient >~90% SOC (more energy is converted into breaking down the water into oxygen and hydrogen, plus heat).

If you are not cycling the batteries, it is not a good idea to let them set below ~75% SOC for days/weeks/months as this is when sulfation will occur.

Note that operating batteries is a little bit of hit and miss... Different people have different experiences and ideas. And there are different battery construction that can affect the "optimum" cycling methods.

One suggest is to monitor your water usage (in flooded cell batteries). If you have to replace water ~once every two months--you are probably charging fine. If you have to add water every few weeks, over charging. If you "never" have to add water, you may be under charging (again, there are "low maintenance batteries" that use very little water--Trojan as a new product line that seems to use less water).

-Bill
  • jimindenver

I appreciate the advice.

Luckily the grp 27 that's on it's third season has never seen 50% and is always recharged asap. I'd like a bit more wiggle room for cloudy days so I'll switch to a pair of 6v next year.
  • Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭

Good luck pulling a 5-6 hour Absorb time from solar alone in the real world.

Really good charge controllers measure the time the Bulk stage takes and base their Absorb time on that, with an End Amps option. Cheaper units have fixed (and sometimes adjustable) Absorb times. Normally an Absorb time does not exceed 4 hours.

If possible, measure the current during the Absorb cycle and see how much change there is. If it drops to around 2% of the battery capacity by the end of the cycle you're getting enough time.
  • jimindenver

What you are saying does make sense. Deeper discharged batteries have shown longer absorb cycles but not 4 hrs and it does taper quite a bit before float.

Thank you
  • NorthGuy
    NorthGuy Solar Expert Posts: 1,913 ✭✭
    What you are saying does make sense. Deeper discharged batteries have shown longer absorb cycles but not 4 hrs and it does taper quite a bit before float.

It depends on many factors, but you need to keep charging until they're fuly charged and the elctrolyte is mixed by the bubbling process. It might take a long time, possibly in excess of 4 hours.
  • jimindenver

I recently received another Eco-worthy for a project and notice that the info on the box had changed from the manual. The Voc limit has changed to 45v instead of 42 meaning a pair of 12v panels can be used in series. The wattage limits however have dropped to 275/550. I can understand this as my 245w panel will peak above 17a in cold clear skies and have seen someone running 300w have heat issues. I did confirm the changes with Eco-Worthy.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    The Voc limit has changed to 45v instead of 42 meaning a pair of 12v panels can be used in series.
    Except maybe in cold weather!
    A typical 12V nominal panel has a Vmp of 18, a Voc of 22.5 at STC, and a worst case winter Voc as high as 28V. I would not risk that unless I knew my local temperature never went below about 60F, even at first light after a clear winter night. The panel temperature can go below the air temperature as they radiate into a clear night sky.
    IMHO, all that raising the limit to 45V will do is sucker a lot of people into putting two panels in series and eventually blowing out their CC.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • kjetil
    kjetil Solar Expert Posts: 31
    inetdog wrote: »

Except maybe in cold weather!
    A typical 12V nominal panel has a Vmp of 18, a Voc of 22.5 at STC, and a worst case winter Voc as high as 28V. I would not risk that unless I knew my local temperature never went below about 60F, even at first light after a clear winter night. The panel temperature can go below the air temperature as they radiate into a clear night sky.
    IMHO, all that raising the limit to 45V will do is sucker a lot of people into putting two panels in series and eventually blowing out their CC.

So if I use the Eco-Worthy in my summer cabin, it`s safe to have to 12V panels in series in the summer and parallell them in the winter?
  • BB.
    For a 45 volt maximum input voltage--I would not be very inclined to put two panels in series ever. It is just two risky. And if you can support panels in parallel during winter, there is really no need for series in summer. At some point, You will forget to switch back to parallel, there will be a cold/clear summer night, etc... and the controller will get stressed and fail or die earlier down the road.

It will cost you more copper (heavier wiring) to put them in parallel (or get a different MPPT controller with higher Vpanel input rating). It is sort of the cost of doing solar--Unfortunately.

-Billl
  • jimindenver
    I follow several people on you tube that use the Eco-worthy with 12v panels in series. One has two 100w, the other two 150w. Neither has blown the controller ant the one with 150w panels has had them in cold weather. It bumped the 20a limit but didn't blow the controller. I'm not saying it would work for anyone else and I know I am more comfortable using up to a 250w poly or 275w mono 24v panel. The upgrade to a Tracer 20a MPPT isn't that much if you are worried about it.