Germany: Solar Passes Wind

RSSfeed
RSSfeed Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭
Germany is fast becoming the world`s first developed country that generates more electricity with solar cells than with wind turbines. In 2012, the country`s solar capacity increased more than 7,100 MW, putting their total capacity at 32,000 MW –1,000 MW...The post Germany: Solar Passes Wind appeared first on Solar Feeds.

go to solarfeeds for the rest of this story>>>>>solarfeed?d=yIl2AUoC8zA solarfeed?i=pdb5o9zVbkE:QivrPTQr0_4:gIN9vFwOqvQ solarfeed?d=qj6IDK7rITs solarfeed?i=pdb5o9zVbkE:QivrPTQr0_4:V_sGLiPBpWU solarfeed?d=dnMXMwOfBR0
pdb5o9zVbkE

More...

Comments

• inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Germany: Solar Passes Wind
    RSSfeed wrote: »
    Germany is fast becoming the world`s first developed country that generates more electricity with solar cells than with wind turbines. In 2012, the country`s solar capacity increased more than 7,100 MW, putting their total capacity at 32,000 MW –1,000 MW more than wind.

There is a fundamental flaw in comparing only the capacity in MW between one generating mode and another when one of them delivers only a few relatively predictable hours per day and the other delivers a much less predictable but probably higher number of hours per day. The article also shows the actual TWh comparison as well, with wind's slice or RE still 5% larger than PV's, but that too is potentially misleading in that it does not take into account when the power is produced relative to the peak demand periods.

PS: I am waiting anxiously for the RE sector to rise far enough compared to fossil fuels that we can see the headine "Solar Passes Gas".
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    RSSfeed wrote: »
    Germany is fast becoming the world`s first developed country that generates more electricity with solar cells than with wind turbines. In 2012, the country`s solar capacity increased more than 7,100 MW, putting their total capacity at 32,000 MW –1,000 MW...The post Germany: Solar Passes Wind appeared first on Solar Feeds.
    Solar Passes Wind? Who writes this stuff? :D
  • bmet
    bmet Solar Expert Posts: 630 ✭✭

Really? I hope they didn't eat too much sauerkraut.