Floor heating

Brianellul
Brianellul Solar Expert Posts: 95 ✭✭
Hi

I'm currently exploring the possibility of installing floor heating into my newly built house. I would like to heat it up using the sun, i.e heating water or another fluid and circulating this under the floor. Has this ever been done or will it work? I know that I can purchase electric radiators and bury these under the floor but I'm working towards living off-grid!

Any links would be most welcome.

Regards
Brian

Comments

• Brock
    Brock Solar Expert Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Floor heating

Oh yes this is pretty common actually, to use solar to heat or pre heat hot water and inturn thke that water and heat the home or flor with it. The big thing right now is to install raidant hot water heating in the house and you can always add the solar hot water collectors later and heat with propane or what ever now.
    3kw solar PV, 4 LiFePO4 100a, xw 6048, Honda eu2000i, iota DLS-54-13, Tesla 3, Leaf, Volt, 4 ton horizontal geothermal, grid tied - Green Bay, WI
  • crewzer
    crewzer Registered Users, Solar Expert Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭

Check this search string:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=solar+radiant+floor+heat&btnG=Google+Search

HTH,
    Jim / crewzer
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

Going through that process now.......... look up PEX on the web. Lots of good stuff
  • System2
    System2 Posts: 6,290 admin

I looked into a radiant floor to heat from a tarm wood boiler. The cost of circ's running 24/7 all winter killed that idea.(I live off grid)I will go with regular baseboard heat and low volt circ's.A 1000 gal. buffer tank will store heat.
    I have 90 sq.ft. of flat plate water heaters (solar dhw) but during the dead of winter I'm happy if they only temper the water a bit.
    The floor in front of the south-facing windows will be dark tiles, to store heat directly