Can somone please explain

bnlfan
bnlfan Registered Users Posts: 8
Can someone please explain what each of the abbreviations on panel spec sheets mean.

Pmp
Vmp
Imp
Voc
ISc
Tnoct
Pmax

I understand the following is true:

Pmp is Power at maximum power that the cell can make
Vmp is Voltage at maximum power that the cell can make
Imp is Amperage at maximum power that the cell can make

What I am not sure of what Voc (Voltage open circuit) is, nor Tnoct, nor Pmax

Thanks all.

Comments

• Cariboocoot
    Cariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭
    Re: Can somone please explain

Hmm. Maybe ought to add them to the glossary: http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?6136-Glossary

Voc is what you suspect: Voltage open circuit. How many Volts the panel will produce with nothing but a DVM on it and some light.
    Isc is current at short circuit: Amps produced by a fully illuminated panel with the output shorted. The 'I' in current ratings is from an old term for current: 'Intensity'.
    Tnoct is normal operating cell temperature (the first 'T' is redundant). The temp they expect the cells to be at under normal conditions with the panel producing power. It will usually say something like "48C" or such.
    Pmax is redundant too; Power max, same as Pmp.

Now some may have other explanations as the nomenclature is not actually standardized everywhere.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm. Maybe ought to add them to the glossary: http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?6136-Glossary

Tnoct is normal operating cell temperature (the first 'T' is redundant). The temp they expect the cells to be at under normal conditions with the panel producing power. It will usually say something like "48C" or such.

Now some may have other explanations as the nomenclature is not actually standardized everywhere.

Actually, it is the second T that is redundant. The first T indicates that what you are measuring is a Temperature. :-)
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Cariboocoot
    inetdog wrote: »
    Actually, it is the second T that is redundant. The first T indicates that what you are measuring is a Temperature. :-)

No, then it would be "Temperature normally operating cell" which doesn't make sense unless you put a comma in. :p
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    No, then it would be "Temperature normally operating cell" which doesn't make sense unless you put a comma in. :p
    "T,noc" it is then!
    Also V,oc and I,mp.... :-)
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Cariboocoot
    inetdog wrote: »
    "T,noc" it is then!
    Also V,oc and I,mp.... :-)

M - O - U - S - E ! :p