Satellite internet system energy consumption

mxsolarmxsolar Registered Users Posts: 14
Hello,

Does any one know how much energy (W-hr) will a typical satellite internet system consume if it is on 24/7? I am trying to figure out PV module and battery sizing just for this load.

Even tough the internet will be actually used only 3-4 hours a day it has to be on standby the rest of the time.

Thanks.

EB

Comments

  • CariboocootCariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭
    Re: Satellite internet system energy consumption

    Yes. Mine runs between 30 and 40 Watts. This includes the router and VOIP phone adapter. Over 24 hours it uses a rather nasty 840 Watt hours, which is why it gets shut off at night.

    The components don't actually have any "standby" mode: the modem will continuously send/receive to maintain the connection. So not using it doesn't really save any power; you have to shut it off.
  • mxsolarmxsolar Registered Users Posts: 14
    Re: Satellite internet system energy consumption

    Thank you for your very fast response. Wow, that's more than I thought.

    This system is for a customer that already has the equipment in place but runs it off a power generator every time he is at his cabin (about 5-6 days/month). The problem is that when he leaves he powers the whole thing off and he sometimes misses updates from his satellite system provider that lead to his system not working. Do you know if this only happens when the system is totally disconnected (unplugged) or also when it is just powered off? any experiences you could share?

    If the system won't miss updates if it is powered off but still connected to a power source then the PV system would be considerably smaller.

    Thanks again.
  • inetdoginetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Satellite internet system energy consumption
    mxsolar wrote: »
    Thank you for your very fast response. Wow, that's more than I thought.

    This system is for a customer that already has the equipment in place but runs it off a power generator every time he is at his cabin (about 5-6 days/month). The problem is that when he leaves he powers the whole thing off and he sometimes misses updates from his satellite system provider that lead to his system not working. Do you know if this only happens when the system is totally disconnected (unplugged) or also when it is just powered off? any experiences you could share?

    If the system won't miss updates if it is powered off but still connected to a power source then the PV system would be considerably smaller.

    Thanks again.

    Satellite TV boxes never really power off unless you unplug them, although they may restart occasionally. But the "off" power consumption is not a lot lower than "on". They will pick up updates (and even record programs if they have a DVR) while "off".
    The satellite internet provider boxes are probably not set up to work this way, although it might vary among vendors. Keeping the receiver alive to listen for updates is probably the largest part of the power consumption.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • offgrid meoffgrid me Solar Expert Posts: 119
    Re: Satellite internet system energy consumption

    The modem needs to be completely turned off or it will pull 30 or so watts all the time. It will not send or receive when it completely turned off. I turn mine off whenever I am not using the internet. It takes a few minutes for it to reconnect with the satellite but I have never had a problem with missing updates with my wildblue service. In fact I am not aware that I have ever gotten updates unless you are talking about computer software updates. If this is the case the computer will get them when the internet is reconnected.
    Ned
  • icarusicarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Satellite internet system energy consumption

    Wildblue and Xplornet use identical hardware. There is absolutely no reason you can't shut it off when it in use. It takes a few minutes to reboot as it acquires the signal. Mine used to be on and off several times a day. ( we have moved to a cell based system tht is much better in many dimensions!)

    We used the Xplornet hardware for nearly ten years. I now have a ton of hardware (dishes/modems/trials/power supplies) if anybody wants them! We always kept spares on hand, getting them on CL or Kijji free or nearly free. not a lot of value, but if you need spares, let me know.

    Tony
  • inetdoginetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Satellite internet system energy consumption
    icarus wrote: »
    Wildblue and Xplornet use identical hardware. There is absolutely no reason you can't shut it off when it in use. It takes a few minutes to reboot as it acquires the signal. Mine used to be on and off several times a day. ( we have moved to a cell based system tht is much better in many dimensions!)

    We used the Xplornet hardware for nearly ten years. I now have a ton of hardware (dishes/modems/trials/power supplies) if anybody wants them! We always kept spares on hand, getting them on CL or Kijji free or nearly free. not a lot of value, but if you need spares, let me know.

    Tony

    Thanks Tony. There may be some differences between being off several times a day and being off for a week or two at a time. (If the provider does not provide a long enough grace period for old settings or old software versions, it might be an issue. That would not be best practice by the provider, but that does not help the user out any if they have problems recovering.)
    Using a timer to cycle the unit on once every day or two for long enough to connect and get any update pushes might avoid any problems and minimize power. As long as the timer itself is low power, that is. :-)
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • mxsolarmxsolar Registered Users Posts: 14
    Re: Satellite internet system energy consumption

    Thank you guys. The timer sounds like a good idea and could reduce the PV system size considerably if it is low power.
  • BB.BB. Super Moderators Posts: 26,867 admin
    Re: Satellite internet system energy consumption

    Here is one DC timer (~$75):

    wind-sun_2221_21893127Flexcharge DC Timer Controller

    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • techntrektechntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭
    Re: Satellite internet system energy consumption

    If the customer has cell service, he will get much better results by using the cell system for his data provider. I can't get any hard-wired internet connection at my home (other than dialup) and it is all I've used for about 5 years now.

    As for satellite boxes, I shut all of mine off when not in use, except for my DVR. About every 2-3 months it will tell me I'm locked out, I just have to turn them all on and call my provider (Directv) using a special phone extension. That walks me through a 2 minute procedure which reactivates the boxes. Not bad for a massive energy savings.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • inetdoginetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Satellite internet system energy consumption
    techntrek wrote: »
    If the customer has cell service, he will get much better results by using the cell system for his data provider. I can't get any hard-wired internet connection at my home (other than dialup) and it is all I've used for about 5 years now.

    As for satellite boxes, I shut all of mine off when not in use, except for my DVR. About every 2-3 months it will tell me I'm locked out, I just have to turn them all on and call my provider (Directv) using a special phone extension. That walks me through a 2 minute procedure which reactivates the boxes. Not bad for a massive energy savings.

    On the other hand, if you do not have cell service, calling the provider for a reactivation can be a problem too!
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • icarusicarus Solar Expert Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭
    Re: Satellite internet system energy consumption

    I used to turn mine off for weeks or months at atone when I left home. Never a problem reconnecting (with Xplornet, can't speak dictly about Wb, but since the hardware is the same, I wouldn't think there is an issue)

    The system worked fine, given it was the only choice, but he ping times and the bandwidth limits were terrible. If you use too much band width in a given period, they slow you down,, if you still don't cut your down load, the slow you down further, until it won't work hardly at all.

    Tony
  • CariboocootCariboocoot Banned Posts: 17,615 ✭✭
    Re: Satellite internet system energy consumption

    Same here: turn it off in November, back on in May. No problems.

    As opposed to now with the thunderstorm outside that's knocking the signal out every three minutes. I can about read one post - then it goes down again. Amazing it's lasted long enough to post this!
Sign In or Register to comment.