Confused...Want to have lights in my barn

Options
thehackleguy
thehackleguy Registered Users Posts: 1
I've been reading for the past week and I just keep getting more confused :confused:

I want to run 6 CFL bulbs in my chicken barn with the possibility of running a timer so I can have the lights turn off automatcally at times. I have been trying to put together a system and I think I'm looking at more than what I need. Lights would be on for chores and occasionally a few hours at night for building pens but no more than 4 or 5 hours with less than an hour being the "norm".

What sort of system would I need for something like that? Any help would be great, thanks!

Mark

Comments

• techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Confused...Want to have lights in my barn

Welcome. The first number you'll be asked for is the actual wattage being used by all of the lights (not the wattage listed on the base of the bulb). If you don't have one yet get a Kill-A-Watt and the bulbs you plan on using, and run some tests.
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • ggunn
    ggunn Solar Expert Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I've been reading for the past week and I just keep getting more confused :confused:

I want to run 6 CFL bulbs in my chicken barn with the possibility of running a timer so I can have the lights turn off automatcally at times. I have been trying to put together a system and I think I'm looking at more than what I need. Lights would be on for chores and occasionally a few hours at night for building pens but no more than 4 or 5 hours with less than an hour being the "norm".

What sort of system would I need for something like that? Any help would be great, thanks!

Mark
    You know that you'll need a system with batteries, right? You first should decide on how much battery you'll need. You'll need to start by calculating the kWh you need to run the lights as long as you could possibly want to in a night, and then how many nights you could want to do that in days of insufficient sunlight to charge the batteries (days of autonomy), double that to make sure your batteries never discharge below 50% state of charge, and add another ~30% to account for inefficiencies in the system. I would go with DC lighting instead of AC to avoid having to get an inverter, and you might want to consider LED lighting instead of CFL's; it uses less power.

Once you've got your battery size determined, then you can figure out how much PV you'll need to keep your batteries charged. That will depend in large part on where you are located.

Good luck!
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Here is one version of the Kill-a-Watt meter... You can probably by something similar at a local hardware/electrical store.

A kWH meter is very handy to use around your home too... See where you are spending your money (old fridge/freezer, old desktop computer, etc.)... It is usually the "small appliances" vs the big microwave that quickly add to your monthly power bill.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You want 1 light automatic, so you can find the barn, and the light switches for the other lights.

Beware - some CFL's will not start when cold (below 50F)
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,

• waynefromnscanada
    waynefromnscanada Solar Expert Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mike90045 wrote: »
    You want 1 light automatic, so you can find the barn, and the light switches for the other lights.

Beware - some CFL's will not start when cold (below 50F)

Could be wrong, but I believe he wants to keep the inside, where the chickens are, well lit for longer than normal daylight - - - to increase egg production. It's a common trick among egg producers (farmers) I know he didn't say that, but it's my assumption. And we all know how wrong it is to assume anything! :D
  • ggunn
    Options
    Could be wrong, but I believe he wants to keep the inside, where the chickens are, well lit for longer than normal daylight - - - to increase egg production. It's a common trick among egg producers (farmers) I know he didn't say that, but it's my assumption. And we all know how wrong it is to assume anything! :D

Chicken Abuse!!! :D
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ggunn wrote: »
    Chicken Abuse!!! :D

now i'm no farmer, but i don't see how the chickens having more whoopie is chicken abuse, unless.......... nope i won't go there.:cry::p

the guys are right that you need to know what each light will draw and for how long. try for a worst case scenario such as the winter solstice when there's the least amount of daylight available.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    niel wrote: »
    now i'm no farmer, but i don't see how the chickens having more whoopie is chicken abuse, unless.......... nope i won't go there.:cry::p

Chicken abuse started long ago, chickens just start laying eggs, no whoopie needed...unless you want chicks...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

"I had a hen, no eggs would she lay.
    "I had a hen, no eggs would she lay.
    "Until that rooster walked into our yard.
    "He caught that hen right off of her guard....
    "She's laying eggs now, just like she us'ter,
    "Ever since that rooster walked into our yard."

NOTE: This is not intended as an authoritative answer to the question, just as a humorous diversion.
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Nice poems, but...

Wiki Answers
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • ggunn
    Options
    Photowhit wrote: »
    Nice poems, but...

Wiki Answers
    Good article. I never knew that in an all female chicken society, the alpha hen will go butch. ;^)
  • inetdog
    inetdog Solar Expert Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ggunn wrote: »
    Good article. I never knew that in an all female chicken society, the alpha hen will go butch. ;^)

They must have learned that unnatural and abhorrent behavior from humans. :-)
    SMA SB 3000, old BP panels.
  • ggunn
    Options
    inetdog wrote: »
    They must have learned that unnatural and abhorrent behavior from humans. :-)
    Or maybe it means that such behavior is not unnatural at all.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options

Maybe we should slow this thread down a bit until the original poster Mark has a chance to reply.

-Bill "chickening out on this thread" B.
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • solarvic
    solarvic Solar Expert Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Would like to give my 2 cents worth about why you need light at night for chickens. I know for sure as I was raised on a farm and had chickens about 3 years ago. Naturaly chickens start laying in the spring when the days have longer periods of light and lay all summer until the fall when there is shorter times of light. If you want them to lay in the winter you need to have a light on for about 6 hours after dark to fool the chickens into thinking it is still summer so they still lay in the winter. ;)solarvic:cool: