A/C running on Solar!!!

silvertop
silvertop Solar Expert Posts: 155 ✭✭✭✭✭
I tried my 10,200 BTU A/C again first running on grid then switching to my 1500 Watt Cotek. I think it had just sat too long. The compressor kicks in and runs just fine, I can't tell you how happy I am! It pulls about 800 Watts with the compressor running less than 100W when it kicks out. I ran with the rest of the house and refrig. pulled about 980W. I plan to only run on PV till about 6 PM when home or needed ( still generating about 1K then) but this soo good.......:cool:

Comments

• ywhic
    ywhic Solar Expert Posts: 621 ✭✭
    Re: A/C running on Solar!!!

Glad to see it lit up for you..

Still saving my pennies before I toss any coin on an inverter..

Leaning toward Xantrex Prowatt SW 2000 for $340.. 2nd would be the Samlex SA-2000K-124 for like $720..
  • techntrek
    techntrek Solar Expert Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

<someplace> has the sw2000 for $325 right now. I'm kicking myself because I want to buy one right now but we're getting ready to go on a big vacation...

Edit: not really a competitor, sells marine supplies, but out of respect to WS I removed the name. Plugging sw2000 and 325 into Google brings it up. ;)
    4.5 kw APC UPS powered by a Prius, 12 kw Generac, Honda EU3000is
  • Photowhit
    Photowhit Solar Expert Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    silvertop wrote: »
    I tried my 10,200 BTU A/C again first running on grid then switching to my 1500 Watt Cotek. I think it had just sat too long. The compressor kicks in and runs just fine, I can't tell you how happy I am! It pulls about 800 Watts with the compressor running less than 100W when it kicks out. I ran with the rest of the house and refrig. pulled about 980W. I plan to only run on PV till about 6 PM when home or needed ( still generating about 1K then) but this soo good.......:cool:

So does it keep working, thats allowing the compressor to cycle on and off while 'off grid'? If so that's very impressive. If the compressor hasn't cycled on and off, just started 'On Gird' but hasn't reached temp and cycled off and back on, I'd be sure to stick around for a day and watch it, hate to have the inverter kick off and the fridge get warm...
    Home system 4000 watt (Evergreen) array standing, with 2 Midnite Classic Lites,  Midnite E-panel, Magnum MS4024, Prosine 1800(now backup) and Exeltech 1100(former backup...lol), 660 ah 24v Forklift battery(now 10 years old). Off grid for 20 years (if I include 8 months on a bicycle).
    - Assorted other systems, pieces and to many panels in the closet to not do more projects.
  • silvertop
    Photowhit wrote: »
    So does it keep working, thats allowing the compressor to cycle on and off while 'off grid'? If so that's very impressive. If the compressor hasn't cycled on and off, just started 'On Gird' but hasn't reached temp and cycled off and back on, I'd be sure to stick around for a day and watch it, hate to have the inverter kick off and the fridge get warm...

Yes It cycles on and off ,off grid with the rest of the house on line and it doesn't seem to be trying very hard. Its a Samsung 10,200 BTU Low hours but I haven't run It for 3-4 years( I was trying to run just fans ) I think It just needed a kick! The first time I tried It I might have pulled the plug too early thinking It was too much for my Cotek 1500 Wife told me I was wasting my time just save up for a larger inverter but the hot weather made me try I'm sure glad I did ! I haven' been able to mesure starting amp draw yet, but my Cotek only surges to 2000W and I don't think I am working I't that hard.
  • BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,431 admin
    silvertop wrote: »
    Wife told me I was wasting my time just save up for a larger inverter...

Sounds like a keeper. :D

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • silvertop

One more update , it looks like I must be on the edge power inverter wise. The first time I fire up the A/C it shuts down my 1500Watt inverter. I have found if I start it on grid let the compressor kick in and run for 2-3 min. then shup it down let it sit 2-3 min. then plug into inverter it pulls about 850W running and doesn't surge hard. On the hot days I can play this game but will still upgrade inverter later....On a good note I am VERY HAPPY to tell everyone I have my last strings up and running now at 4.6 KW PV:D
  • Generic
    Generic Registered Users Posts: 27

I run my 13k BTU air conditioner off my xw 6048 and it uses about 1500w for comparison. I have a 3050w array and can have the AC going up to 16 hours a day without clouds. Depending on your amount of sun you should be good with your larger array.