Any Opinions on Wet Cell Batteries

Options
Rngr275
Rngr275 Solar Expert Posts: 127 ✭✭
Well kind of a retorical question since I sure everyone does have an opinion. What I was wondering is... are there batteries to steer away from, must haves, etc. As I start getting the quotes for my system it seems that each installer has a particular battery they like. I have read mixed reviews on the Surrette S-530 400Hr batteries (which one installer likes) another prefer's Tojan's and another Crown. Since many here stay on top of these sort of things I was looking for some input.

System 1: Quote in hand... 8 Surrette S-530 400hr As part of a 2.8Kw worth of panels, 48V system, Magna 120/240v, pole to installation complete except I have the excavation done. Does this balance out? Not sure of the charger/controller out put eith 60 or 80 amps I think?? Talking the $20K range. Add another 3 panels (240w ea) bump up system to ~3.6Kw for an additional $3K

Doing a search it feels like the component prices might be a little high... not sure whats involved in the installation. I've seen comlete powere centers, 4Kw of panels and 8 Surrette batteries just like above for ~15K... doesn't include Racking, poles and installation obviously.

What do you think.

Thanks all.

Comments

• vtmaps
    vtmaps Solar Expert Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Any Opinions on Wet Cell Batteries

Many of the most experienced members here recommend that you start out with a cheap 'learner' set of batteries. I took that advice three years ago when I went off grid. Where I live the cheapest (including shipping) batteries are Interstate (four L16s for less than $900). I can only speculate as to their quality, but so far so good.

It may be economical to undersize your bank (for either a beginner or a pro). That means you will have less days of autonomy and/or deeper daily cycles. As you know, the deeper you cycle your batteries, the shorter their life. However, you may save money with the smaller bank. If the 'half size' bank of cheap batteries lasts five years and the 'full size' bank of expensive batteries lasts nine years.... do the math.

You mentioned a 400 AH bank of Surrettes. Can you get by with 225 AH of golf cart batteries? You might be able to replace them many times over for the cost of the Surrettes.

--vtMaps
    4 X 235watt Samsung, Midnite ePanel, Outback VFX3524 FM60 & mate, 4 Interstate L16, trimetric, Honda eu2000i
  • RandomJoe
    RandomJoe Solar Expert Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Any Opinions on Wet Cell Batteries

I've recently been looking at batteries just planning ahead for when my current bank of T105s wears out. In the past I had planned to upgrade to a string of L16s, but found some curious numbers in the details.

For roughly the same money I can get two strings of T105s instead of a single string of L16s, and I get more AH that way (440AH vs 370AH). Further, the T105s appear to be designed to handle higher currents than the L16s - at least, the T105 specs list a 5 hr rating in addition to the 20 hr whereas the L16s do not. 90% of the time I don't need much current, but as my bank isn't hugely oversize (being a "house-size UPS" rather than truly off grid) it sees some pretty hefty currents at times when I fire up larger appliances or have lots of things going.

Of course, two strings of T105 mean I have more floor space covered with batteries, or I come up with some sort of shelving for them that lets me access the caps. Also means twice as many cells to water. But T105s are a lot easier to move around single-handed! So now the course isn't quite so clear! :)

As for brands, I've not had any experience with others. Always heard good things about Trojan and have certainly been happy with the set I have now. Easy to get as well, a local battery store carries them.

I self-installed my kit, so can't compare directly on the quotes, but just for another data point my 2.1kW roof-mounted panels, 48V T105 bank and full Outback system (FM-80, VFX-3648, FNDC, Mate) plus the miscellaneous stuff to connect it all together totaled about $10k in parts cost. Half the panels were bought a few years ago when prices were higher, but I expect inverters and such - and certainly wire - are higher now.