Need some help with a proposal

Options
Hey all, I'm new to the forums and I love what is going on here. I've lurked around a few weeks reading up on some areas of interest. I'm a huge supporter of solar and wind energy and love the wealth of knowledge everyone is sharing. I was hoping some of you could help me get started with a proposal.

I work for a large US company that has thousands of locations across the country, unfortunately i'm the lowest guy on the totem pole so getting my ideas upward is a struggle. What i want to do is create a proposal for the higher ups on a solar initiative. Basically, my idea is that they can afford to install solar panels, it will be cost effective, and be great PR for going green. I've tried to obtain electrical use information on locations but even that has been difficult to get exact numbers. Now my problem is I don't know where to start. Does anyone know of a premade proposal that i can take bits and pieces from to get a jump start? Any feedback would be great!

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Need some help with a proposal

To be honest, I am not sure how far that will go...

Generally, most companies rent/lease their facilities and in real estate law, anything you bolt to the building becomes the property of the building owner--unless you have some agreement otherwise.

In some states (like California), there is a pretty good rebate available. And there are Federal tax credits too... But each state/location would require a good amount of local planing/research to see if it is possible and practical to install Solar RE equipment.

Pretty difficult to make generic proposals...

There are some companies that have started a large solar/green push for their facilities... Look up Walmart. As I have read, they are setting up solar systems and other green initiatives (like at-store wastewater/sewage treatment). However, they are a big corporation and, as I remember, Walmart actually subcontracts out everything (like the guy that comes twice per week to monitor the waste water systems).

It depends on on your company's specifics. It might be a start to do a proposal for your location--get it in the company newsletter, hopefully as a successful installation--and offer help to others.

Make friends with a couple folks in the facilities department/purchasing where you can get some numbers for electrical/natural gas service costs (usage and rates) and run some of your own numbers/studies for your site. Find out who to talk with about installing solar panels (PV or Thermal). Who knows, might make sense for your location if you can get a few others interested.

Some links:

Solar radiation data
    (look at the PDF files to see seasonal variations)
    Solar calculator for Grid Tied systems
    Rebate Database (and Net Metering info) for all 50 states

As a start, assume ~$9 per installed watt of solar PV panels for a generic Grid Tied system (before rebates). So, a ~3.5 kW set of solar panels will give a ~3 kW PTC rated (California's derating factor) system. And it will cost around $27-$30,000 to install. Assume 20-30 year life for payback period (cost of funds).

Clean Power Estimator
    (this one is Kyocera branded) Plug in your info, get summary of costs and power.

Good Luck,
    -Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

as bill indicated it is vague to come up with exacting figures and just as difficult to know how much sun will fall upon the facility during any given time as the weather is somewhat unpredictable. for what it's worth the costs to industry for electricity is great and pvs would most likely only offset the costs somewhat as many factories and businesses draw huge amounts of power. one thing for sure is that those costs will only go up, but it is a guessing game as to how much and when. most businesses can also offset some of the costs through grants and this does vary per location. it will be a hard sell to make as it is almost like prebuying your electric power at a higher rate and as said you pay a higher cost for property improvements if the company owns it. businesses do have leverage with many cities and towns though in getting them to forego any tax increases due to the solar improvements and some states have made that into law. you will do much homework to make this fly.
    www.dsireusa.org
  • mike95490
    mike95490 Solar Expert Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Large companys like Google and Costco, are installing PV's for both the PR & energy savings. Maybe looking into them, you can find their cost/payback ratio. Here where I work, they buy power below wholesale, from out of state, and consider it so cheap, they can't afford solar.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister ,