Planning new PV plant

Options
zivspir
zivspir Registered Users Posts: 4
I'm planning my first plant, grid tied.

Rated power should be between 100-200 kW.

My first choice for panels is Bosch and Suntech as second.
Inverters are SMA STP 12000TL.

Because i want to buy and install all equipment myself (with electrical installation team).
I used the SMA software for design corect number of SMA inverters on each string and calculating corect product for rated power of string.

So, can anybody with expirience of this, help me with telling me on which point i could expect problems and difficulties.

I read on some forum, that Inverter for "no reason" can not start. :) What can make this to happen ?

Regards to all,
Zivko.

Comments

• BB.
    BB. Super Moderators, Administrators Posts: 33,439 admin
    Options
    Re: Planing new PV plant

SMA is probably the best quality manufacturer of GT inverters at this time (and their hybrid/off grid models too).

I have not heard of any specific problems with SMA GT inverters not starting unless the Grid Power is not stable (voltage too high/too low, line frequency more than +/- 1% of nominal, etc.).

Otherwise, pure Grid Tied inverters (solar panels + GT inverter) will only operate when the utility power is present. If utility power is down, GT inverters will shut down too (no emergency backup power).

If you want backup power, you need to install a different inverter system + battery bank. Much more expensive. There are "pure" off grid inverters (solar panels, charge controllers, battery bank, off grid inverter) and there are "hybrid" inverter systems--Similar to off grid systems except that a hybrid inverter can behave like a GT inverter when the utility is running (sell excess power back to the utility) and run in off-grid mode when the utility power is off (like a computer UPS system).

Does your country/utility support "net metering" or some other method of billing for Grid Tied power? In many countries, grid tied solar power systems are not legal and you cannot sell power to the grid (turn the utility meter). In the US, many new electronic utility meters will report running backwards or even charge the user extra money if they "illegally" sell power back to the grid).

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • zivspir
    Options
    BB. wrote: »
    SMA is probably the best quality manufacturer of GT inverters at this time (and their hybrid/off grid models too).
    I have not heard of any specific problems with SMA GT inverters not starting unless the Grid Power is not stable (voltage too high/too low, line frequency more than +/- 1% of nominal, etc.).
    -Bill

Please Bill, tell me on what Grid do you mean? Public one on which I want to attach me plant or PV plant grid ?

Thank you for replays.

Zivko.
  • BB.
    Options

I am typing about the public utility grid voltage/frequency.

There has been a few issues with utility voltage near the maximum allowed (around 264 VAC in the US), and somebody has a long circuit run from the GT inverter to the utility connection. The high line plus the voltage "rise" of the GT inverter AC circuit is high enough the cause the GT inverter to "fault".

In a few cases I have read here, the installer was able to reprogram the GT inverter a few volts higher and stop the faulting. In other cases, the utilities were asked to change the tap on the transformer and bring the line voltage down a bit to a better nominal value.

Here in the US, ~10 kW is usually the maximum system size for a "residential" Grid Tied Solar Install.

A 100-200 kW system is not small, and here would require a utility engineer to review the interconnect and feed to the utility grid. In some cases, utilities have refused to allow larger systems to interconnect as it would cause problems with the utility (too much energy from local GT installations overloading the local grid--as an example--Some places in Canada were known for granting permits then refusing connections after the systems were actually built).

Whether or not you can install the system yourself, you will need to involve your local electrical inspectors, utility, and possibly employ a licensed electrical engineer to design your system.

You might contact your local SMA representative and see what advise they can offer. Your system is fairly large and their engineering/sales support may be needed anyway.

-Bill
    Near San Francisco California: 3.5kWatt Grid Tied Solar power system+small backup genset
  • niel
    niel Solar Expert Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Planning new PV plant

there are higher power inverters out there and i believe our host does sell some. give them a call for some possible advice and options you have for a large system. 800-383-0195

btw, why did you wipe out your original post?
  • zivspir
    Options

I will contact SMA directly.

I dont know where is first post, i did not delete it.

if anybody (moderator) can get back, it will be nice.
  • BB.
    Options

I have restored your post.

Good luck and let us know how everything goes.

-Bill